Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you (personally) wear undershirts under, and is it all times of year? Obviously, I'll wear it under a dress shirt, though I might forego during the summer months if I'm not wearing a jacket or tie. How about polo shirts? Or is that too excessive?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely literal. I will be, at some point in the near future, an Officer Candidate up in Newport, RI. What I'll be doing, however, is another matter, as the Navy's deemed me medically unqualified for a billet they had promised me (aviation) because of a previous surgery. I'm appealing with the help of McCain's office, and so if I don't end up an aviator, I'll be an intelligence officer.

But until then, I still like dressing well, and I've started looking at moving up from a couple of suits I had during college-- into something more like that wonderful 1818 Fitzgerald from BB...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Crew white undershirts under dress shirts. If wearing it open collar then none. I don't care for V necks.

Sometime I'll wear an undershirt with a polo in the cooler months, but only if it's a color that compliments the polo and outfit (never white, it just looks tacky imo).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Absolutely literal. I will be, at some point in the near future, an Officer Candidate up in Newport, RI. What I'll be doing, however, is another matter, as the Navy's deemed me medically unqualified for a billet they had promised me (aviation) because of a previous surgery. I'm appealing with the help of McCain's office, and so if I don't end up an aviator, I'll be an intelligence officer.

But until then, I still like dressing well, and I've started looking at moving up from a couple of suits I had during college-- into something more like that wonderful 1818 Fitzgerald from BB...
If you're heading to OCS then I'm sure you've already stocked up on white crew necks. Be prepared to buy a lot of those in the future; after one deployment spent in ship's laundry you'll need to burn them all and start fresh.

If you make it into aviation you'll also need to invest in color coordinated undershirts for whatever squadrons you get assigned to, for wear under your bag (they have to match the patch). Intel too, because there's about a 50% chance you'll end up in an aviation squadron first tour, and many of them like their AI's to wear bags.

Were you med-disqualed before being accepted or were you a victim of the NAMI-whammy? Be warned that if you haven't been through NAMI yet, it is a significant hurdle... just because your surgery gets ok'ed on paper doesn't guarantee NAMI will agree.

I hope it works out for you. Either way those are both exciting fields. Shoot me a PM and perhaps I can offer you a little more insight on what to expect OCS and career-wise.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were you med-disqualed before being accepted or were you a victim of the NAMI-whammy? Be warned that if you haven't been through NAMI yet, it is a significant hurdle... just because your surgery gets ok'ed on paper doesn't guarantee NAMI will agree.
I filled out the medical prescreen form and was issued a waiver for my surgery. I did the medical examination, and was allowed to proceed with application, again with a thumbs up on the waiver. At this point, I applied for, and received selection as a naval aviator. I had gone through the whole process when I suddenly received a letter from the Navy informing me that their "medical advisor" said I was unqualified. If I was unqualified medically, I wouldn't have been allowed to apply for unrestricted warfare in the first place. Instead, if the help on my appeal from McCain's office (I interned there for a semester-- in retrospect, thank God for that), I have to go through the whole process again to apply for intelligence. The Lt. handling my application was (understatement) displeased, and even the staff in McCain's office is unhappy-- enough that they said that they were appealing to "big Navy"-- going up the ranks. Given that a Commander issued the decision, and the way the office likes to work, I honestly believe the reason (which was hinted at in my recent contact with a staffer) my appeal is taking so long is because it's involving flag staff. But that's just me.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Always with shirts, sometimes with polos. In the winter I go for thermals.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
What do you (personally) wear undershirts under, and is it all times of year? Obviously, I'll wear it under a dress shirt, though I might forego during the summer months if I'm not wearing a jacket or tie. How about polo shirts? Or is that too excessive?
The tee-shirt helps you not to stink and helps protect your (outer) shirts from stains. Wear a crew neck with buttoned collar, v-neck with polo or sport shirt. Always. Always. Always. Once you are in the Yankee Navy and they will tell you about this -- in a good loud voice...

Here is a hint: when it is chilly out and you do not want to wear a jacket for a pub crawl at the beach wear two v-neck t-shirts under your aloha shirt. When you come too in the gutter in the morning, you will not have a chill.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Under dress shirts only, all times of year, Especially important during summer months otherwise my dress shirts would be ruined. When I take a look at the undershirts at the end of the summer, and see them various shades of yellow, brown and grey, I think "those could be my dress shirts."

Generally, for the summer, I wear Paul Frederick's white 50's singles broadcloth anyway. Lightest dress shirt I could find.

Obviously, I care less about ruining polo shirts, but they never seem to fit right with undershirts.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Responding to the questions raised in the OP, I wear a V-neck undershirt under anything, other than another T-shirt...and I never wear 'just a T-shirt' outside of the ole homestead! Otherwise, I don't feel fully dressed.

PS: Good luck on your appeal to get into flight training.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
During the colder months under dress shirts. Also under sweaters if I am not wearing a shirt, especially the three button with collar style. I do make sure they are not visible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Always, Unless I Don't

I always wear a t-shirt with a pressed dress shirt. I say pressed because I will wear a washed but uniron OCBD or striped poplin dress shirt with jeans. When I do that, I don't wear a t-shirt. It can be like a sauna down here much of the year and no matter how nice the shirt is, sweat just looks bad.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Under dress shirts only, all times of year, Especially important during summer months otherwise my dress shirts would be ruined. When I take a look at the undershirts at the end of the summer, and see them various shades of yellow, brown and grey, I think "those could be my dress shirts."

Generally, for the summer, I wear Paul Frederick's white 50's singles broadcloth anyway. Lightest dress shirt I could find.

Obviously, I care less about ruining polo shirts, but they never seem to fit right with undershirts.
Agreed 100% How can anyone not wear a T? It's a lot cheaper to replace a $3 T than a $50 dress shirt. Or if you're wearing a custom dress shirt at $125 and up the T helps to save your investment.

As for not fitting or looking good under a shirt, that's a load of crap. A dress shirt lays and moves much better with a good cotton T under it than your sweaty bare skin. If you have problems with your T's imprinting or bunching up then you're not wearing the correct size.

Last but not least, how classy is it to have those wonderful persperation stains on your dress shirt instead of a the T where they belong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wear undershirts under almost everything (except other t-shirts). I have recently discovered the american apparel fine jersey t's, which I now can't live without. I just don't like the feel of not wearing an undershirt.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I never wear a t-shirt under my dress shirts because I personally find it very uncomfortable. Yes, I've worn t-shirts that fit properly and I still don't like the "layered" feeling.

No, I do not ruin my expensive dress shirts with sweat, stains and odor, because fortunately I don't perspire much and my deodorant/anti-perspirant controls that adequately without leaving any residual stains or odors on my shirts.

I do wear a crisp white t-shirt under a v-neck sweater.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.