Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
A full-size Swaine Adeney Brigg umbrella sceurity would probably assume you wanted to stab the pilot in the neck with. Besides, would it even fit in the overhead lockers? When I fly I have plenty of other nick nacks to keep track of and carry - I wouldn't particularly want to fuss over a 200 quid umbrella. Get a cheap foldable one and put it in your suitcase.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A full-size Swaine Adeney Brigg umbrella sceurity would probably assume you wanted to stab the pilot in the neck with. Besides, would it even fit in the overhead lockers? When I fly I have plenty of other nick nacks to keep track of and carry - I wouldn't particularly want to fuss over a 200 quid umbrella. Get a cheap foldable one and put it in your suitcase.
I have a traditional full-size umbrella which I want to take to New York.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine is a Brigg, and yes it will fit in the overhead lockers. My only concern was whether the baggage mis-handlers would break it, when I had to check it.

A

·
Registered
542 Posts
Flying from New York to Heathrow last year, I was able to take a full size umbrella with me as carry on. However, when I tried to make my connection to Milan, security would not let me take it as carry on, and there was no time to go back and put it through as checked baggage. So the choice was miss the plane or chuck the umbrella. I bade it a fond farewell (it wasn't a Brigg).

·
Registered
299 Posts
It will probably depend on the airport, and you know how security requirements can vary in that regard. For example, I flew from Heathrow on Thursday night. No-one in my queue at security was asked to remove their shoes. Everyone in the next queue had to.

On my flight out on Wednesday I had to remove my laptop, on the return at Heathrow there were signs saying "all laptops to remain in bags". The latest policy is probably: No consistency=uncertainty=bad for hostiles. BTW I had a telescopic umbrella in my bag on that last trip. No issues with that one way or the other.

A

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a traditional full-size umbrella which I want to take to New York.
Ship it UPS/DHL/Fedex (your choice). It will be at the hotel when you arrive.

Given the similarities between modern assault rifles and umbrellas, you wouldn't expect the average security guard to distinguish between the two would you?

Further, sending it via checked luggage seems iffy given the proclivity of airlines to damage or mislay articles (even those within locked containers that do arrive).

·
Registered
610 Posts
You all need to learn to fly with the same airline that Uma Thurman used in Kill Bill when flying with her Hattori Hanzo Sword in the seat next to her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.