Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered an Atlantic Blue Harris Tweed jacket recently and would like to find suitable ties to go with it. Could anyone advise regarding the most appropriate materials? I'm assuming a material other than fine silk, ala Kiton, would be more appropriate. Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've ordered an Atlantic Blue Harris Tweed jacket recently and would like to find suitable ties to go with it. Could anyone advise regarding the most appropriate materials? I'm assuming a material other than fine silk, ala Kiton, would be more appropriate. Thanks!
Wool ties - a muted plaid perhaps - or madder printed silk, check out Sam Hober, House of Bruar, Drakes of London.

·
Registered
27,467 Posts
I'm very fond of Harris Tweed, and have several jackets. Most Harris Tweed jackets pair well with a variety of ties; silk, wool, cashmere, and blends thereof in both woven and knits. But you're right that an overly formal silk satin tie would look out of place.

A couple of choices that might do -

Luggage and bags Bag Sleeve Creative arts Rectangle

Or -

Rectangle Art Motif Magenta Font

The first is silk, the second Irish Poplin which is a blend of silk and wool. Both are from O'Connell's.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,467 Posts
A couple more -

First a lovely all wool tartan -

Brown Tartan Rectangle Sleeve Plaid

And another silk club tie on a gold ground -

Brown Rectangle Bag Communication Device Gold

Also both from O'Connell's.

I've never purchased many stripe ties, which is silly. Traditional rep stripe ties are both handsome and useful, and should suit your jacket well in silk, wool or blends.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
For what it's worth, just do a cruise of the Trad What Are You Wearing thread, and you will be able to see what you like for yourself. I have worn tweeds with ties 3 or 4 times in past 3 weeks, and some of my pairings have received approval, while others have had some criticisms; either way you can get a perspective.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,504 Posts
Club ties were invented to wear with tweed. Whether shooting, golf, equestrian, angler or whathaveyou, nothing goes so well with tweed as a club tie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.