Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you wear your high school/college class ring, or should that be relegated to the jewelry box forever more?

Second question: Any trad blogs, sites, myspace or facebook pages you recommend for further reading?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I wear my undergrad ring proudly.

Duck
Trip

The Trad
All of these blogs have other blogs attached that you'll enjoy.

Claybuster, where did you go to seminary?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I switched high schools in the middle (moved to another part of the country). Both of them had a remarkable record for college admissions, so almost no one ordered class rings. I think the only member of my actual graduating class who got one gave it to her boyfriend.

I wasn't sufficiently impressed with my undergraduate school to get a ring. But I proudly wear a ring from my Temple University MBA.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I continue to wear my college ring, on an occasional basis...mostly during the fall and always when attending one my Alma mater's football games!

Clemsontiger, those are fantastic blog references...thanks!

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I wore my college ring for a couple of years and then packed it away in a box reserved for various items of a similar nature, such as the bow tie and name tag from my high school job in a grocery store, flight wings and flight suit name tag from the military, that sort of thing. To me the ring represents a phase in my life.

The last thing I put in that box was a plaque I received when I retired from my job.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Once you find one blog you will find more. They all seem to be linked to each other but with enough variation that you discover new ones every-once in a while. CLEMSONTIGER'S list is a good start. He lists many of the favorites and some of those people post here.

This site is linked to allot of ephemera https://www.ivy-style.com/

I thought this guy did a good job but no new posts. https://bulldog7299.blogspot.com/

Trad on the cheap and a good read. https://anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot.com/

Three familiar names around here

https://tuckerredux.blogspot.com/

https://youngmanoldman.blogspot.com/

I hope that this is a good start for you.
Do any of you wear your high school/college class ring, or should that be relegated to the jewelry box forever more?

Second question: Any trad blogs, sites, myspace or facebook pages you recommend for further reading?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mike,

I never considered a correlation between college admissions and the ordering/appropriatness of high school rings.

As a counterexample, my high school also had a tradition and reputation for college admissions and yet a large number of people got high school rings. This may have been because economically most people could afford them (or their parents could). I did not partake, because I was too anti-establishment for all that.

I did get a college ring, intend to get a law school ring, but do not plan to wear with any frequency. This is largely due to my aversion to jewelry. However, if I were a little more affected, I think a class ring would be the best accessory. Much more so than a David Yurman pinkie signet ring or somesuch.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Mike,

I never considered a correlation between college admissions and the ordering/appropriatness of high school rings.

As a counterexample, my high school also had a tradition and reputation for college admissions and yet a large number of people got high school rings. This may have been because economically most people could afford them (or their parents could). I did not partake, because I was too anti-establishment for all that.
Oh, trust me, these people could afford it. School #1 was a three-hundred-year-old prep school, and School #2 was one of those Southern prep schools founded in the days when the true meaning of Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education was starting to sink in.

As someone who has always been surrounded by people with advanced education, I've always thought that the time where one should be proud of having graduated high school is far too brief to commemorate it with a piece of gold jewelry.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mike,

By the "true meaning" of Brown v. Board, do you mean that truly all people are equal and that there is indeed significantly more to be gained through an education wherein the participants provide a wealth of cultural and political diversity and in doing so make for a more rich educational experience?

Or do you just mean that all the whites had to flee to their prohibitively expensive private schools, and then shift the tax base from property to sales, thus affecting not only public school revenue but, in adding insult to injury, the net income for the poor?

I guess I am feeling a bit salty tonight, one bourbon too many? I have hijacked this post and in doing so made it more worthy of the interchange than anything else. Respond not to my comments, and stay instead on the topic of class rings.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I don't have a class ring. My fraternity pin remains a keepsake of my university years and it comes out once every 3 months for initiations and formals. At my university, the class ring wasn't personal to most people and it remained just another trinket which salesclerks pressed on soon-to-be grads. For most of us, the items which bore significance were not rings or pins, but memories and friendships, some of which exist to this day.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I went to a university that was . . . well, I don't want to say it was a party school, but the "magic number" for admission wasn't an SAT score but rather 98.6, our course catalogues were printed on rolling paper, and we didn't pay tuition, just a "cover charge."

Also, getting your stomach pumped was a graduation requirement, but I digress.

I sent in the boxtops for the dang ring, and I'm gonna wear it! Plus, it has a secret compartment and a special decoder . . . .

·
Registered
149 Posts

IMO ditch the HS ring working with business public rarely see College rings anymore, sometimes signet ring on legal/landed gentry types Thorvald :cool:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did not buy a high school or college ring. If you went to a state school, it's perceived to be not that special, and if you went Ivy League, you risk looking pompous and stuck in the past. More than that, though, I am just not a big fan of such adornment. I'm not the definition of Trad, however.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.