Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my ignorance,but what is the siginificance of the red leather lining on formal shoes?And should the soles be dyed black,or are the regular tan leather soles acceptable?These two questions have been bothering me all day.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Forgive my ignorance,but what is the siginificance of the red leather lining on formal shoes?And should the soles be dyed black,or are the regular tan leather soles acceptable?These two questions have been bothering me all day.
My formal shoes (oxfords) have a black lining and black soles.

I think the red lining is to keep you from accidentally putting them on in the dark and wearing them to work.

I'd be concerned that an aftermarket dye job on soles would leave scuff marks on the floor.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I'm going to patent a electrically heated shoe horn for tar heels if you keep coming up with these questions.
I mean it!
Many cultures have rather strict customs regarding feet.
When I played in a Gamelon orchestra, one of the first things we learned was to always keep our feet tucked under, a natural position for me after 6 months as a heathen zen monk.
This made me look good at my first invite to a Indian Raga performance.
Displaying one's soles is very bad form in many cultures.
I will hope Andy or someone more learned will explain this and we can sleep soundly tonight.
I imagine it's either a traditional carryover, like red silk lining some King favoured, or simple marketing by some cobbler to charge extra.
It may be similar to the painting of Man O' War gundecks red, to lessen the visable carnage of a cannon exchange, formal shoes less worn and posibbly more ill fitting and injurious to flesh.
The bottom line, and- your foot, is to always keep them neatly tucked under you sitting regardless of event.
People cannot critique what they do not see.
Or hear, like your metal taps.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It may be similar to the painting of Man O' War gundecks red, to lessen the visable carnage of a cannon exchange, formal shoes less worn and posibbly more ill fitting and injurious to flesh.
Wow, that's quite a theory.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Whoa! Someone tied on their tie a little too tight, didn't they? That's like saying a tuxedo coat must have fancy lining or it isn't a tuxedo coat. I don't buy into the belief that formal shoes must have a certain color of lining to be formal. As for the sole question, I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Lets take stock here. By day's end I've learned in the Interchange I am probably a latent homosexual because I care about shoe minutae. Nobody can agree on what a cowboy boot is, but nobody mentioned brokeback Mountain thankfully or mentioned Chuck Norris or Adolf Hitler.
the brown Park Avenue has been discontinued, now men who never considered a brown Park Avenue will snap them up, like them and generate a demand for brown, Park Avenues.I come up with a male version of Steve Martin's CRUEL SHOES and the phone rings. It's my friend and sometimes employer Steve Sun, who lived in Texas and thought I was messing with his head about Kent Wang pocketsquares. I've got a day's work tommorow which will give my fiancee' Christmas, though I am tempted to buy Kent's new abalone cufflinks. I shall wear my old corcoran paratrooper boots on the Munson last, one Allen Edmonds has never warmed to, while I set up chairs for a Hindu wedding reception. My corcorans DO have black soles, but I haven't looked inside them to see if they're red.
I need to get some sleep.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Kav, in anything related to Cruel Shoes is popping up in your head, it's definitely time to go to bed...

Caring about shoe minutiae isn't gay. Wanting to put any part of your body on someone else's shoes and get a sexual thrill from it is, well, most gays don't do that, but it would certainly get you noticed at some clubs in West Hollywood.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Never heard that the linings should be red but the soles should be black - tan soles are for RTW only.
NJS

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lets take stock here. By day's end I've learned in the Interchange I am probably a latent homosexual because I care about shoe minutae. Nobody can agree on what a cowboy boot is, but nobody mentioned brokeback Mountain thankfully or mentioned Chuck Norris or Adolf Hitler.
the brown Park Avenue has been discontinued, now men who never considered a brown Park Avenue will snap them up, like them and generate a demand for brown, Park Avenues.I come up with a male version of Steve Martin's CRUEL SHOES and the phone rings. It's my friend and sometimes employer Steve Sun, who lived in Texas and thought I was messing with his head about Kent Wang pocketsquares. I've got a day's work tommorow which will give my fiancee' Christmas, though I am tempted to buy Kent's new abalone cufflinks. I shall wear my old corcoran paratrooper boots on the Munson last, one Allen Edmonds has never warmed to, while I set up chairs for a Hindu wedding reception. My corcorans DO have black soles, but I haven't looked inside them to see if they're red.
I need to get some sleep.
Hilarious. I need to get some sleep as well.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Never say "never," but . . .

. . . I never wear opera pumps with black tie, only with white. So I just can't see the connection of a red lining with the red lining of a DJ. I suppose that is partly due to none of my DJs having red lining.

Christian Louboutin makes a velvet pump with tan kid lining and his "signature" red soles(!)

Seems to me that it is just as much a manufacturer or designer's whim as M. Louboutin's "signature" red soles to have red lining inside opera pumps. Eye-catching to the buyer, and completely invisible to anyone else.

If the soles come black, run with it, but if they don't, leave them alone. As someone else has said, a trail of black scuff may ensue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.