Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a two-button suit jacket with low button positioning (top button a little above the belly button), what should the vertical positioning of the pocket flaps be? Should the center of the flap line up with the second/bottom button?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
For a two-button suit jacket with low button positioning (top button a little above the belly button), what should the vertical positioning of the pocket flaps be? Should the center of the flap line up with the second/bottom button?

Thanks,

Chris
You just sent me to my closet! :D

I suspected it was somewhat variable. On my jackets the top of the flap is roughly at or slightly above the lower of the two buttons.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
As Flanderian points out, variables exist, degrees of low button points. Speaking for myself as a 42-44 reg. I'm more interested in distance from top of pocket/besom/jetting to bottom of jacket and I find that distance is generally 9.5"-10" on a straight pocket, suits and sport jackets, hacking pockets a different story but not that far off if measured at mid point of jetting, exclude ticket pocket. Patch pocket jackets, at least the several I own, seem to fall in line with bottom button at about 9.5". I do not claim this to be scientific tailoring rule/guide, just my observation.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Sometimes pockets are placed where it makes the customer look better. This would be custom, or, as the British say, bespoke.
I've seen directions from 9 1/2 inches to 11 inches. That is just for horizontal pockets.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I happened to come across this photo. Shouldn't the buttons be lower?
The buttons and pockets are fine. The jacket should be longer. If the jacket were a traditional length, the buttons would still be fine where they are, or they could be lowered a bit.

The top of the pocket flaps may line up with the bottom button, or the middle of the pocket flaps should line up with the bottom button. Or somewhere in between.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I think the buttons look good on this jacket but agree that adding at least an inch and preferably two to the length while lowering the buttons proportionately (1/2 to 1 inch) would look excellent. Don't like it with those jeans either since I think the jacket and tie is a bit too formal for jeans.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The original question was, button position relative to pocket flap. In this illustration they seem okay. Now the question becomes should they be lower? Lower those buttons 1.5" and see what a mess you would have as they relate to the pockets especially the bottom button. On a traditionally cut jacket of proper length for that model a few things would happen. The jacket would cover his butt, conceal the peek-a-boo belt buckle, help in concealing his fly and would approach lining up with his thumb knuckle. The buttoning position would, should be lower by default and still line up properly with the pockets as they also would be lower maintaining the same distance to the bottom of jacket. As for the total ensemble, no comment.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
The original question was, button position relative to pocket flap. In this illustration they seem okay. Now the question becomes should they be lower? Lower those buttons 1.5" and see what a mess you would have as they relate to the pockets especially the bottom button. On a traditionally cut jacket of proper length for that model a few things would happen. The jacket would cover his butt, conceal the peek-a-boo belt buckle, help in concealing his fly and would approach lining up with his thumb knuckle. The buttoning position would, should be lower by default and still line up properly with the pockets as they also would be lower maintaining the same distance to the bottom of jacket. As for the total ensemble, no comment.
This jacket already has a low button stance in relation to the length of the jacket. The jacket could be lengthened to the correct length, and the button stance and pocket placement would still be alright. With a longer jacket, the button stance could certainly be lowered slightly, but the pockets should not be any lower.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
This jacket already has a low button stance in relation to the length of the jacket.
Me.....Yes, did I say otherwise? I said, looks okay relative to jacket length. My problem is with jacket length on the model.

With a longer jacket, the button stance could certainly be lowered slightly, but the pockets should not be any lower.
Me....That would depend on what you mean by a longer jacket. I used a traditional length jacket as example, where they would fall, within norms, on the model and that would lower the button stance as you suggest.

Me.......The buttoning position would, should be lower(as you suggest ) by default on traditionally cut jacket and still line up properly with the pockets within +- .5" as they also would be lower maintaining the same distance to the bottom of jacket.

I think I addressed all the issues in my original post as I saw it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.