Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, where might be a good pace to start looking for one in Chicago? It seems they are out of fashion but I like the look quite a lot. I wear tweed sports coats most days and think I'd like to take it to the next level. Bookster's website says I can get a three piece tweed suit for under $600 which is in my price range (and seems to be a very good deal indeed) but I'd prefer to be able to go in and get measured in person as my size has changed somewhat since I was last fitted for a suit.

Second, in general, is a tweed suit appropriate for more casual business settings? I'd probably be wearing mine w/ either knit or paisley ties. I see women wearing tweed suits but not really any men. I'm alright w/ dressing a bit differently but don't want to be inappropriate or have people asking me how the hunt is going or anything like that.

And lastly, I'm thinking of buying a tweed top coat as well eventually. Together w/ the suit, would that just be all too much tweed?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
First, where might be a good pace to start looking for one in Chicago? It seems they are out of fashion but I like the look quite a lot. I wear tweed sports coats most days and think I'd like to take it to the next level. Bookster's website says I can get a three piece tweed suit for under $600 which is in my price range (and seems to be a very good deal indeed) but I'd prefer to be able to go in and get measured in person as my size has changed somewhat since I was last fitted for a suit.

Second, in general, is a tweed suit appropriate for more casual business settings? I'd probably be wearing mine w/ either knit or paisley ties. I see women wearing tweed suits but not really any men. I'm alright w/ dressing a bit differently but don't want to be inappropriate or have people asking me how the hunt is going or anything like that.

And lastly, I'm thinking of buying a tweed top coat as well eventually. Together w/ the suit, would that just be all too much tweed?

I would start looking at Bookster . Just yesterday, I received a suit from them...eight weeks from date of order to delivery...and it is an outstanding bargain. Even though it was ordered over the internet, it fits wonderfully and is made to my specifications from a choice of dozens of fine tweeds. Bookster should also be able to meet your price point, especially considering the change in relative value of the Pound Sterlinbg and the U.S. dollar. I have not seen one in person, but Bookster now offers a tweed overcoat, too.

Buzz

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have to admit, Bookster seems almost too good to be true. I've been gawking at their site all morning.
I doubt that you will find any other tweed suits...made from proper tweed...at that price. Let me add that it was a pleasure dealing with the fine people at Bookster...they are very responsive to e-mail...and that I plan on orderingt more from them soon. I already have a three piece suit in charcoal herringbone with an eye-popping red lining, a jacket in one of their other tweeds, and a pair of moileskin trousers. I am a fan.

Buzz

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bookster seems to be a very good deal. I have multiple Tweed offerings at varying levels in our store at Jackson and Dearborn, but to get a true hand woven tweed, custom made and full canvassed, you'll be looking at least 1700.

I do have some other options as well that will be similar starting around 1000 custom made, but nothing at that price point. I don't know of anywhere else in chicago that has any better deals.

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

1. Your preferences as well as your business environment determine if a tweed suit is acceptable. If you already often wear tweed odd jackets in your environment, a tweed suit should be fine. If you were in a conservative profession, in a more conservative area of the U.S., a tweed suit might not be appropriate. I consider tweed more casual, and in my area would not normally wear it for many business situations. But of course, there are also degrees of formality among tweeds.

2. Bookster offers marvelous tweeds, many of which are virtually unavailable elsewhere in the U.S., and of a quality that will rarely be seen. Everyone who has written about wearing their clothing has praised them highly. If you were to do a search, there's even more information.

3. I'd skip the tweed overcoat and tweed suit unless there is a marked contrast in texture between them. Even tweed can be too much of a good thing. It's the contrast in texture between a tweed overcoat and a worsted suit that makes it so appealing. If you had an equivalent contrast between two tweeds, then it might very well work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My office is business casual and my position (IT) allows me some some eccentricity so I should be fine. This is kind of a gift to myself for wearing my jacket and tie enough that people have stopped asking me if I have a job interview every day.

Bookster seems to be a very good deal. I have multiple Tweed offerings at varying levels in our store at Jackson and Dearborn, but to get a true hand woven tweed, custom made and full canvassed, you'll be looking at least 1700.

I do have some other options as well that will be similar starting around 1000 custom made, but nothing at that price point. I don't know of anywhere else in chicago that has any better deals.

Good Luck
Thanks for the info. I am not really dead set on custom made or anything like that since I realize I'm working w/ a limited budget. Just looking for something of good quality in my budget.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
LOL @ people asking you if you are going for a job interview.

Except for the three years that I was in the Army, I have never owned an overcoat as I stay away from cold places. It is in the 80's out here this week - a little warmer than I need actually. Anyway, as Flanderian suggests, if you can get one with enough contrast it might work okay. In The Andover Catalog, they show some odd tweed jackets with odd tweed vests that seem to work together fine. You might request one of their catalogs for ideas on mixing tweeds. You might also ask Bookster for suggestions on overcoats and suits.

Last year, I had a three piece Herringbone suit made up which I enjoy a lot. I often wear it with a tattersall shirt and a knit or paisly tie and I did get one tie with flying ducks, or geese, or grouse, or some kinda airborne fowl - they all look about the same to me.

At the price they charge and after all the good things I have read about them, I would be very tempted to get another tweed suit from Bookster, but alas, I have a broken collar bone and a few other problems that make me a hard fit so I am pretty much stuck with MTM.

Although I think it is probably a bit of an affection, I did get a pocket watch to wear when I am wearing the vest. I would prefer a vintage one, but have not found one within my budget so I bought one at Amazon. If that idea appeals to you, you can find quartz pocket watches at Amazon for under $30.00.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
197 Posts
One thing to consider about pairing tweed suits with tweed overcoats is temperature. I have a tweed 3 piece which I can only wear a mackintosh over as otherwise I would be too hot - in both London and Berlin winters. Similarly I normally end up taking the waistcoat off when in the office as that is fairly well heated. I appreciate that Chicago gets quite a severe winter but just a thought.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very much agree. I love tweed jackets, but remember that the material's been made a long time and for much of that time, central heating was a luxury. People used to live and work indoors under chillier circumstances and having warm clothes was important. I walk a short distance from a heated house to a too-much heated bus to a too-hot office everyday. I often have to go without my suit jacket in the office. It's unfortunate (not too mention wasteful to use that much fuel), but I can't change that.

My topcoat is just a light BB cotton-wool blend twill, with no warmer. Over a tweed or flannel jacket it's just fine down to the mid-20's. I have a great tweed coat from Orvis that sees little use unless it's in the teens.

One thing to consider about pairing tweed suits with tweed overcoats is temperature. I have a tweed 3 piece which I can only wear a mackintosh over as otherwise I would be too hot - in both London and Berlin winters. Similarly I normally end up taking the waistcoat off when in the office as that is fairly well heated. I appreciate that Chicago gets quite a severe winter but just a thought.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Might be worthwhile to check out the Polo store on Mich. Avenue. Almost all of the country-like tweed suits I have are Polo RL, although I had more luck getting tweeds and other more unusual items at the Polo outlets in Michigan City or up in Wisconsin (given the retail environment, this might be a banner year for picking up stuff cheaply after the holidays).

I also think Paul Stuart sometimes has tweeds, although maybe not heavy tweeds.

The other option that might have some things like this, although mostly from Italian makers might be Morris & Sons.

Ebay is also a good option it you want to test the waters before plunking down a lot of money.

- I don't wear mine to client sites, but will wear them to the office on normal days. If on vacation in the fall, I take one along as a versatile travel suit and will wear the jacket as a sportcoat as well.

- as for the top-coat, I don't think I'd wear it with the suit, might be too much tweed in one place. But the usual rules would seem to apply - if the scale and type of the tweeds are very different, then it might work (e.g., if the suit were a small herringbone and the coat were a larger plaid.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I think it may be time (for me as well) to become acquainted with Bookster (through the AAAC banner of course). Are they flexible enough to be willing to craft a modified Norfolk jacket with the frontal design similar to a hacking jacket and a back featuring bi-swing pleats and a half belt? Their website is fascinating!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think it may be time (for me as well) to become acquainted with Bookster (through the AAAC banner of course). Are they flexible enough to be willing to craft a modified Norfolk jacket with the frontal design similar to a hacking jacket and a back featuring bi-swing pleats and a half belt? Their website is fascinating!
Yes!:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Might be worthwhile to check out the Polo store on Mich. Avenue. Almost all of the country-like tweed suits I have are Polo RL, although I had more luck getting tweeds and other more unusual items at the Polo outlets in Michigan City or up in Wisconsin (given the retail environment, this might be a banner year for picking up stuff cheaply after the holidays).

I also think Paul Stuart sometimes has tweeds, although maybe not heavy tweeds.

The other option that might have some things like this, although mostly from Italian makers might be Morris & Sons.

Ebay is also a good option it you want to test the waters before plunking down a lot of money.

- I don't wear mine to client sites, but will wear them to the office on normal days. If on vacation in the fall, I take one along as a versatile travel suit and will wear the jacket as a sportcoat as well.

- as for the top-coat, I don't think I'd wear it with the suit, might be too much tweed in one place. But the usual rules would seem to apply - if the scale and type of the tweeds are very different, then it might work (e.g., if the suit were a small herringbone and the coat were a larger plaid.
Lots more good info. Thanks! (And too the rest of you too.) Wish I could get up to Wisconsin and so forth but I'm not a driver.

I think, as far as the overcoat, I'm going to pass for the time being. I have lighter Brooks Brother's trench I'm growing to love and works for 90% of the winter. I think I'm gonna just keep my eyes peeled for something a bit heavier when I stop in thrift stores and direct my funding to getting the details I want on my suit.

For the record though, if I were to buy a tweed overcoat, I'd almost certainly get it in a fairly loud pattern whereas my suit I'm going for a dark brown herringbone most likely so I think it'd work alright.

Anyway, I'm really starting to lean towards the Bookster suit. Debating if I *really* want three pieces though. It'd certainly make me stick out but the question is how much of a good thing that is.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Your flight is delayed at O'Hare Airport. Somebody neglects to complete a de icing of the wings. You take off in a fog and moments later the plane is broken in three pieces, half in icy water and half in slick, frozen shoreline.There are numerous fires burning.
You get up, and in leather shoes walk on debri, some still glowing with heat. The wing is slippery, you slide into waist deep water, but manage to gain the shoreline. You collapse, but the tweed is just enough to keep your core temperature from falling dangerously low.
At triage, they remove your jacket and waistcoat. You let out a sudden gasp. You have 3 broken ribs the clothing kept relatively immobile.
looking around, you see people with melted polyester wounds literally from head to toe. They are lucky.Many post crash survivors succumbed to shock hastened by the onset of hypothermia.
weeks later, you get the newly cleaned and pressed suit back from the cleaners. You see numerous ember burns that give it a peened surface. But by God not a fiber is completely seperated.
You, and it are still presentable.

* This actually happened in another part of the world to an online acquaintance who asked me for clothing advice while traveling.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Lots more good info. Thanks! (And too the rest of you too.)

Anyway, I'm really starting to lean towards the Bookster suit. Debating if I *really* want three pieces though. It'd certainly make me stick out but the question is how much of a good thing that is.
Last evening I wore a three piece Bookster Tweed suit to an event, it is charcoal tweed and the waistcoat has lapels. I must have passed the URL for bookster to at least ten gents or their wives, it was very well received.

Buzz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.