Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/URL][/IMG]
Outerwear Textile Sleeve Dress shirt Grey
Couldn't resist this vintage-ish item. Knee-length topcoat. Beefy tweed with much more color going on than the iPhone camera captures. Later, I started to wonder if the "smocking" (I guess it would be called) effect across the shoulders and upper chest indicates that it was intended as a woman's garment. Buttons, lapel buttonhole, breast pocket are all on the proper masculine side. (Some kind of "boyfriend" design statement?) Before I get the sleeves altered, your thoughts, please: Would a guy wearing it look dashing or clueless?

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,097 Posts
I would say that the robust weave of the material indicates that it is a rather masculine jacket. Pair it with a chunky turtleneck and a pair of moleskins and you should fairly radiate testosterone.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It resembles an effect called spalla camicia when done at the sleeve head on suit or sport jackets, translated means shirt sleeve. Difficult to tell but it seems the sleeve head on that coat also has that treatment. Another term for that effect at the front would be shirring. Nice coat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.