Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An earlier discussion on this Forum whetted my interest in tweed jackets from the Andover Shop, possibly to the extent that I may buy one or two of them soon. We know the Andover Shop fronts for Southwick and Samuelsohn. But does anyone have any commentary to offer based on actual ownership of one or more of these jackets? How might they differ from those offered by J. Press or O'Connell's, aside from the lack of the third button, for instance?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Well, they cost more!

But seriously, the fabrics look not only very good, but are rare for our part of the world. If exclusivity appeals, as well as the aesthetic, neither of the other establisments deserves comparison.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses. I'm glad to know that it's not my eyes playing tricks on me when I see how good those jackets look on the Andover Shop website!

For the record, I'm considering Page 4 Item 5A (Grey Tweed w/Blue and Green Windows) and Page 5 Item 6A (Dark Grey Shetland Herringbone).

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thanks for your responses. I'm glad to know that it's not my eyes playing tricks on me when I see how good those jackets look on the Andover Shop website!

For the record, I'm considering Page 4 Item 5A (Grey Tweed w/Blue and Green Windows) and Page 5 Item 6A (Dark Grey Shetland Herringbone).
Those are from the Fall '07 catalogue. The stock may have changed, especially on 5A. It's about time for a new catalogue.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have a beautiful 2B sack from them which I bought in fall 2005. It is made by Southwick.

The jacket is great. Fabric (heavy tweed, but not Harris) is incredible, both in terms of quality and pattern (herringbone with windowpane). The jacket is certainly better standards than the "typical" Southwick stuff (e.g., the suit I bought directly from Southwick in Lawrence, MA a few months later). The lapel button hole is real and there is even a thread loop behind the lapel for a flower stem, if that's any indication...

Shoulders are marvelously natural, certainly to a greater degree than anything I own from Press (though I haven't bought any jackets from Press for a couple of years now, so things there may have changed). Have never purchased from O'Connell's.

What does the AShop charge for tweed jackets now? I think mine was between $550 and $700 full price, don't remember where in that range.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I asked the Andover Shop via email about the availability of these two jackets, plus one other (Lovat w/emerald windows). They answered very promptly: the dark herringbone in my size was in stock, and they would make the others in my size at no extra cost. That this seemed routine to them apparently supports earlier reports that they do a good-sized MTM business.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have a chestnut brown Shetland tweed that I got from the about 3 years ago. They had it made for me by Southwick. We added a 3rd button. A very nice jacket. I think this jacket is the reason I avoid Harris tweed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.