Cloud Sky Transport hub Track Urban design
Cloud Sky Aircraft Tire Airplane
Hall Decoration Interior design Chair Flooring
Wood Textile Comfort Interior design Flooring
Building Cloud Sky Architecture Shade
Cloud Sky Aircraft Wheel Tire
Property Furniture Comfort Decoration Interior design
Gents,

Today I had the pleasure of a lengthy layover at JFK on my trip from ATL-JFK-CDG. I must report that my visit to the TWA Hotel just outside Terminal 5 was one of the best airport travel experiences I have ever had.

My last visit to the TWA terminal was in 1993. At that time, the TWA terminal was crowded, dirty, and only a faded shadow of its former glory as a cutting edge and stylish travel hub.

The new restoration and adaptive reuse is astounding. There is not an airline club lounge in the world I have seen that can compare. I would gladly connect via JFK just to return to visit again! I will let the photos tell the story.

Cheers,

BSR

Attachments

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All new facility with all new staff....even the navy has shakedown cruises to get the bugs out. Yes, give them a few weeks for certain.

As a frequent global traveler, I ditched trip advisor years ago. IMO it has devolved to a whinge fest of almost no value to those who frequent establishments beyond the generic chain hotels.

The St. James Hotel and Club in Paris, where I stayed last Friday, was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had, but at >$1000 per night including dinner and drinks, they have to bring the goods to every guest!

Cheers,

BSR

· Registered
30 Posts
View attachment 31913 View attachment 31914 View attachment 31915 Back through JFK today. Here is a shot of the TWA historical staff uniform display.

Cheers,

BSR
A memento of our departure from JFK airport's TWA terminal in February 1965. Mom recorded the experience on the postcard shown below. She traveled, on her own, with a 7 year old (me), a 4 year old, and a 1 year old baby to Paris, France as part of our family's move overseas to be with my father, who was a captain in the US Army. We had a very long wait at the terminal (I think it was 9 hours) due to a mechanical issue with the aircraft. The "seasoned traveler" mentioned on the back of the postcard was a gentleman who saw my mother's predicament with 3 very young children and helped her thru the challenges of the long wait time. Notwithstanding the tedium of the wait (which I remember), the overall travel experience was exciting to me and the on-board experience was excellent. Also, I recall that we dressed-up for the overseas flight.

Vehicle Aircraft Airplane Aerospace manufacturer Aviation
Handwriting Font Rectangle Parallel Paper

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A memento of our departure from JFK airport's TWA terminal in February 1965. Mom recorded the experience on the postcard shown below. She traveled, on her own, with a 7 year old (me), a 4 year old, and a 1 year old baby to Paris, France as part of our family's move overseas to be with my father, who was a captain in the US Army. We had a very long wait at the terminal (I think it was 9 hours) due to a mechanical issue with the aircraft. The "seasoned traveler" mentioned on the back of the postcard was a gentleman who saw my mother's predicament with 3 very young children and helped her thru the challenges of the long wait time. Notwithstanding the tedium of the wait (which I remember), the overall travel experience was exciting to me and the on-board experience was excellent. Also, I recall that we dressed-up for the overseas flight.

View attachment 31935 View attachment 31936
Love the story and really envy the menu you had! My Air France meal on Friday was inedible. :)

Cheers,

BSR

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Article on the new TWA hotel in today’s WAPO.

A traveler of any social class or frequent flyer status has free access to a world class lounge and a beautiful travel experience. When was the last time one could say that? Spend $25 and one can have a beer and a huge plate of hummus and veg like I did.

Cheers,

BSR

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I LOVE this building. I used to fly all the time for work and did many free trips to europe out of that building - just entering the building - that great wing shape - started the excitement of the trips. Though I could't find any reviews on hotel booking sites:(
The reviews have been mixed. A failure to have the hotel 100% complete on schedule led to an "soft opening" where the final punch list and final QC check for many rooms had not been completed, leading to dissatisfied guests.

This situation was being actively resolved during my two visits.

Cheers,

BSR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.