Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice regarding purchasing a tuxedo. I'm a 19 year old British male at University and due to the regularity of formal events will be in need of a tuxedo.

I'm looking for advice on what to look for, where to buy ( British stores - I'm currently in the north east but I don't mind travelling to London)

As for price ranges i'm open to whatever is suggested, my parents will be paying for this but equally I don't intend on spending excessive amounts of money.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
if your parents are paying marks and spencer do a nice tuxedo in there autograpth range its 199.99 ithink. i belive its a one button peak lapel with trouser that have brace buttons in( braces finsih of tux but you may not weant them) that would be my choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if your parents are paying marks and spencer do a nice tuxedo in there autograpth range its 199.99 ithink. i belive its a one button peak lapel with trouser that have brace buttons in( braces finsih of tux but you may not weant them) that would be my choice.
I will go and have a look, I was thinking of spending around a maximum of £5-600 as this is something I will be wearing on regular basis. I'm not sure if this puts me in league with any lower end London taylors

will it be best looking in post christmas sales? Or do tuxedo's rarely drop in price?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
IMO, with that money, you are better off shopping around the London tailors, especially during the Winter sales.

Ede & Ravenscroft are doing their annual MTM promotion this month and that means £550 for a two-piece suit and I think that includes formal wear as well if the shop leaflet is anything to go by.

I was going to get an M&S number but the pockets and lapel pick stitching put me off.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Debenhams would hve a wide raage choice, maybe something from Jeff Banks; should find at least a few options at Moss Bros. Places like Racing Green have information online.

They would be on sale before xmas and in January because although it is an all-round-year item, people have less money after xmas.

You mentioned, that you would need to wear it on a regular basis then you need patent leather shoes too. Taking the wing collar shirt and tie into account as well, this will cut into the £500-600 budget.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I will go and have a look, I was thinking of spending around a maximum of £5-600 as this is something I will be wearing on regular basis. I'm not sure if this puts me in league with any lower end London taylors

will it be best looking in post christmas sales? Or do tuxedo's rarely drop in price?
People tend to buy tuxedos for holiday parties, so the ones left over after Christmas should go on sale.

If you're looking to spend five to six hundred just on the tuxedo itself, your options are fairly extensive. If that includes the shoes, shirt, tie, cummerbund or waistcoat, cufflinks, and shirt studs, then that narrows it a bit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You could check out used/vintage ones. I have one my dad gave me. Its a classic, shall collar tux from the 1940s and it fits perfectly and looks new.

It comes with a black tie, so I guess its not technically a tux, since a tuxedo is supposed to be white tie, white shirt, frock coat etc.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Go to M&S.

or even Asda. They had a DJ for £35 last winter.

If you are at University, it will get trashed. So, I wouldn't fork out for an expensive one.

Leon

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Assuming that the OPer is at/going to Durham, it is a fairly respectable place, and so I would expect a dinner jacket to survive a few years there, provided that basic common sense is used. On a £500-600 budget I would seriously consider investigating made to measure through one of the tailors in York, Newcastle or Gateshead. I've used Isaac Walton's in Newcastle and been happy with it. There's a chap in Gateshead who does tailoring for University College; a friend of mine has been to him and reported favourably, whilst a number of the college dons favour York tailors.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Sorry to be the pedant, but are you a North American (US/Canada) living in the UK? After all, "tuxedo" is American English - the garment was first worn in the US at Tuxedo Park in New York city. Of course, the garment in question is originally British and in British English one says "dinner jacket".

Oddly enough, the word "tuxedo" to described the garment is older than the British English equivalent, for at the time the garment was imported into US, it was known in Britain as the "dress lounge", which was shortly afterwards changed to the "dinner jacket" as it now stands.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
sbpt:

Just remember the basics:

TuxedoJacket: Peak lapels in satin, silk or grosgrain, single breasted, one button is traditional, piped or double besom pockets (avoid flap pockets), no vents or minimal side vents.
Does it have to be peaks no matter what?

I second the suggestion of secondhand/vintage.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Goodness, Sator! Isn't it enough that I call them dinner jackets and morning coats? :p

I could have sworn Thomas Mahon has referred to notched or peaked lapels at least once on his blog.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I could have sworn Thomas Mahon has referred to notched or peaked lapels at least once on his blog.
The internet's evil :icon_smile_big: influence is all pervasive these days. Also, TM's blogs are full of bizarre things when it comes to sloppy use of terminology. The worst one is his woeful blog on the terms "straight and crooked". That caused untold confusion.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
He's still much more knowledgeable about tailoring than I will ever be!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
The subsequent post by Leonard Logsdail basically translates to "ahem....Mahon....sorry to be impolite but I believe you are talking out of a hole in your head". In subsequent posts it is clear that Edwin DeBoise, Schneidergott, Des Merrion, and Chris Despos all agree with Leonard Logsdail. So do I, and I own about a dozen cutting manuals. Unfortunately, the damage has been done and the last time Manton posted on the subject a few weeks back, it was clear that he was still confused thanks to TM. Chris Despos and I tried to clarify things, and it became obvious that Chris and I think along the same lines here.

Also, I should mention that a lot of travelling English tailors have a lot of American customers, so they may be using American English for their sake. The generation of Brits who staunchly insist on using the Queens English to the grave really have reached the grave, I'm afraid to say.

Whatever the case, all of the English texts I own say "pointed lapel/collar" and "step lapel" in place of "peaked lapel" and "notched lapel". Hardy Amies tends to say "double breasted revers".

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Fair enough. That still isn't enough for me to not consider him for a suit when I get a better paying job. If there is, of course, please let me know by PM.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Assuming that the OPer is at/going to Durham, it is a fairly respectable place, and so I would expect a dinner jacket to survive a few years there, provided that basic common sense is used.
Even so, he may find himself unwillingly de-bagged and thrown into a fountain!

Leon

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.