Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a gorgeous BB Makers 3/2 glen plaid sack from a thrift store for $5!

This is perfect condition, *except* that someone has pressed it to a 3-button configuration when it's clearly a 3/2. Luckily, the pressing isn't heavy, and the lapel still curls to a 3/2 when it's buttoned properly, although not a nicely as it would have done absent the pressing.

Question: Would leaving this hanging in steam, buttoned properly, help restore the lapel roll? Any other suggestions to help recover a miss-pressed 3/2 jacket?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I just bought a gorgeous BB Makers 3/2 glen plaid sack from a thrift store for $5!

This is perfect condition, *except* that someone has pressed it to a 3-button configuration when it's clearly a 3/2. Luckily, the pressing isn't heavy, and the lapel still curls to a 3/2 when it's buttoned properly, although not a nicely as it would have done absent the pressing.

Question: Would leaving this hanging in steam, buttoned properly, help restore the lapel roll? Any other suggestions to help recover a miss-pressed 3/2 jacket?

Thanks!
If you have a steam iron, you can press it yourself. Turn the collar and lapels up, and iron the inside of jacket flat where it joins and rolls over to form the lapels. Use the lowest setting that produces steam, and if your iron has a shot of steam feature, use it to flatten out yhe mispressed lapels. If you do it right, and the jacket is properly cut and made, it should assume its proper roll when hung on a good suit hanger and with the lapels properly positioned.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
It depends on how the lapel was cut to roll. Long or short roll is not a function of pressing, it is a function of the top collar. If the jacket was cut to roll to the middle button you will be able to do what you want to do. If the jacket was cut to roll short you can change it to a long roll by shortening the top-collar and under collar.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
379 Posts
First, anything I get from a thrift store goes to a dry cleaner ASAP.

If you find one you can communicate clearly with (a challenge in itself), I'd just leave it to them to get it back in shape to the way it should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.