Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[I've searched already, couldn't find anything, but then again I might not have been searching for the right thing].

Last year I commissioned my first fully bespoke suit. I enjoyed the process and love the finished product. The only trouble is I don't get as many opportunities to wear it as I'd like given my profession (everyone generally wears casual clothes) and due to my commute (I am lucky enough to walk to work through London - I'm not getting on a tube or bus so don't suggest it!).

Er anyway, what I could do I think is commission some new trousers made in a modern style. Only thing is, the tailor who made my suit charges about £700 for new trousers and I was aiming for something more in the region of £200. I don't expect fully bespoke, but I was hoping to get MTM. I would like to choose my fabric.

Options that come to mind include:
* Jonathan Quearney
* Jasper Littman

But I don't know how much they charge. Anybody have any other ideas?

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can try this company:

https://www.cadandthedandy.co.uk/index.php

I intend to visit next month for a tweed jacket - they seem very personable and the prices look good.

If anyone has had items made by them please let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blatant 'up'.

I have an appointment on Thursday at the CATD's City offices. Hopefully the offices will still be standing post-G20 mayhem!

I'd like some advice on trouser material, if anyone can give it. I walk about 40mins to and from work each day. Will this cause a lot more wearing on the trouser, and if so what materials would be better? I generally prefer cooler/lighter materials but this may conflict with the robustness required to cope with the walk!

As I am graduating from jeans I'd like to keep a fairly casual cut and style. Are there specific things I should ask for or look out for?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
[I've searched already, couldn't find anything, but then again I might not have been searching for the right thing].

Last year I commissioned my first fully bespoke suit. I enjoyed the process and love the finished product. The only trouble is I don't get as many opportunities to wear it as I'd like given my profession (everyone generally wears casual clothes) and due to my commute (I am lucky enough to walk to work through London - I'm not getting on a tube or bus so don't suggest it!).

Er anyway, what I could do I think is commission some new trousers made in a modern style. Only thing is, the tailor who made my suit charges about £700 for new trousers and I was aiming for something more in the region of £200. I don't expect fully bespoke, but I was hoping to get MTM. I would like to choose my fabric.

Options that come to mind include:
* Jonathan Quearney
* Jasper Littman

But I don't know how much they charge. Anybody have any other ideas?
Sims & MacDonald

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I walk about 40mins to and from work each day. Will this cause a lot more wearing on the trouser, and if so what materials would be better? I generally prefer cooler/lighter materials but this may conflict with the robustness required to cope with the walk!
Walking - you would want a slight loose fit, to reduce friction and light or medium cloth
Durability - heavier clothes will last longer

13oz cloth will a slight loose fitting will be my suggestion. Although it is a heavier cloth, the loose fit will make it easier to walk; a 13oz loose fit trousers will be better then tight trousers in a lighter (8-11oz) cloth for walking.

The heavier cloth will last longer and the loose fit make it the cloth feel lighter. If have big legs, you could get extra material applied around the crotch area, which sometimes is an issue; however, because of a slight loose fit I do not need the extra material.

·
Registered
350 Posts
SD - Let us know how you get on with the tailors as I should be up in London next month to try them out for a tweed jacket - limited cloths on their website but they assure me they have plenty of materials to choose from.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I should add this is a scouting mission, I have other tailors in mind to try out too (thanks JibranK, forgot about them).

The Charlie Allen thread reminded me to try him to; his shop is just around the corner from where I live.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Thanks ToryBoy, must confess I prefer slim fit trousers (I'm but 30 years old!) but I guess sometimes one has to make sacrifices given other constraints...
I prefer a slim fit too and most of my trousers are like that (even work trousers - I use the train and tube to get to work); however, anything that involves lots of walking is a looser fit, otherwise my thighs would just rip through the cloth.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have to say that a great fabric for work / smart casual trousers are moleskin. I wear my range of moleskins almost everyday & they are fantastic for wear & tear.
If you are worried about the wear have you ever thought about reinforcing certain areas like the crotch etc.?
If you are ever down in The Cotswolds & need some more trousers please get in touch!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Blatant 'up'.

I have an appointment on Thursday at the CATD's City offices. Hopefully the offices will still be standing post-G20 mayhem!

I'd like some advice on trouser material, if anyone can give it. I walk about 40mins to and from work each day. Will this cause a lot more wearing on the trouser, and if so what materials would be better? I generally prefer cooler/lighter materials but this may conflict with the robustness required to cope with the walk!

As I am graduating from jeans I'd like to keep a fairly casual cut and style. Are there specific things I should ask for or look out for?
Absolutely hope the offices will still be standing post G20 action.. I think for that day I will commute in a more subtle attire than I would normally wear. Ironically I think we look more like stereo-typical bankers than the jean clad modern chaps... I was reading an amusing article this morning about the last riots in The City where bankers were dropping photo copied £50 notes out of the windows whilst swilling flutes of champagne... I think/hope this will all pass with out much notice - not too many of the customers seem to be put off coming in at the moment anyway!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.