Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in the political period between the World Wars in Britain would do well to read a fantastic book entitled "Troublesome Young Men" by Lynne Olson. This book delves deeply into the lives of Harold MacMillan; Robert Boothby; Ronald Cartland; Duff Cooper; Anthony Eden and the very important but unheralded Leo Amery, among many others. The scenes of absolute incompetence in the Chamberlain premiership; the enigmatic personalities of Eden and Churchill, and the courage and principals of so many are well told here. I am, generally, a slow reader of history, to try and make sure I get all the names and dates right in my head, but this 364 page book passed too soon in about three days. I could not put it down. It is not a book that deals with the Royal Family; the abdication crisis or George VI, it is about the forces for and against appeasement. If you are interested in this topic, you will want to get this book as soon as possible.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I remember what we were allowed to know about them.

Thanks for the suggestion Joe, also the succint introduction.
I agree about Leo Amery, he was one of that few that I actually liked.

Lord (Bob) Boothby kept it up a bit longer, pun intended and would prove to be for Harold Macmillan, in so many ways, a troublesome old man.

F.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Joe, also the succint introduction.
I agree about Leo Amery, he was one of that few that I actually liked.

Lord (Bob) Boothby kept it up a bit longer, pun intended and would prove to be for Harold Macmillan, in so many ways, a troublesome old man.

F.
The long Bob Boothby- Mrs. MacMillan affair is well documented in this book, and it is suggested was both a great source of pain to Harold MacMillan and perhaps a motivator for some of his political growth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.