Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm a newbie traveler and was wondering what are the best ways to keep my clothes as wrinkle free as possible.

I own Docker Non-Iron slacks, which seem to do rather well if I lay them flat in my carryon. Now my shirts, there is a problem. I own primarily the Men's Wearhouse Non-Iron like Josep&Feiss but they seem to get wrinkled like crazy if I try to lay them flat.

What is the best way to pack these? Or should I be looking at different clothes? (I was looking at Jos A Bank Travelers, but not sure)

Help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm a newbie traveler and was wondering what are the best ways to keep my clothes as wrinkle free as possible.

I own Docker Non-Iron slacks, which seem to do rather well if I lay them flat in my carryon. Now my shirts, there is a problem. I own primarily the Men's Wearhouse Non-Iron like Josep&Feiss but they seem to get wrinkled like crazy if I try to lay them flat.

What is the best way to pack these? Or should I be looking at different clothes? (I was looking at Jos A Bank Travelers, but not sure)

Help!
I have a bunch of JAB Travelers, and travel with them fairly regularly. I always press them after washing, since I've found that no iron really means "won't wrinkle as badly". When traveling I fold them like normal, and try not to crush them in my suitcase. When I get to my room, I hang up the shirts. After a day on the hanger, any folds that were introduced in the packing process have usually fallen out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip.. some guys tell me to roll up my pants and shirts.. I am afraid to try it, seems like it would be worse when I get to the hotel.

What method is best, roll or fold? If fold, how are you folding them? If roll, how are you rolling them?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
If I am going for a 3/4 days, I select four shirts then put 2 shirts to a hanger and carry in a suit-carrier together.

They have very little wrinkle, not noticeable when I do the top bottom of the suit. I have been lucky a few times, the next seat on the train is not being used or I need to drive, so the suit-carrier is not folded.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You'll end up with some wrinkles no matter what you do. I always touch up or spot iron my shirts with the hotel iron.
+1 on the hotel iron, although I always use extra care when using a foreign iron. I start on lower heat settings and iron a small part of the tail of the shirt first, then slowly bump up the heat. I've had a hotel iron burn a shirt once, and so I don't automatically trust them.

I also use a suit bag. I find there are less wrinkles when I arrive than if it was folded in a suitcase.

·
Site Creator
11,746 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
There is a packing strategy that I use that works pretty well:

-Lay your trousers, more casual first and folded flat at the creases, with the fly side against the long side of the suitcase and the waistband tight against the end side; alternate successive pairs, allowing the bottoms of the legs to lie over the side of the case. Smooth each pair as much as possible.

-Button the collar button of each shirt and alternating buttons; lay the first (most formal) one on top of the last pants with the collar against the long side of the case; flatten, and then lay each sleeve across the chest, then fold the shirttails over all and smooth; do the same for other shirts, with the polos last.

-Put in layers of T-shirts, underwear, socks, right up against the trouser legs that are still flopped out over the suitcase sides. Once the miscellaneous soft stuff that is not likely to wrinkle is all in, fold the trouser legs over that mass, so that the trousers have a "bend" and not a crease.

-Put in shoes and run belts around the edges (in shoe bags, so dirt will not get on the clothing), and anything else that you need to stuff in; put sweaters, track suits, and casual jackets on top, close, and viola!

-If you need to pack a suit or sport coat, the best way is to get a case that has a special compartment for them in the lid, like the 22" Victorinox I use. Otherwise, put one shoulder inside the other, straighten out the sleeves; lay the folded coat (ties can go into the folded coat) on top of the shirt layer with the lapels against the long side of the case and the collar at the side and the tails overlapping the other side, along with the trousers; put in the soft stuff and fold the coattails along with the trousers over that stuff. Wrinkles should be at a minimum for just about everything, but you may still need to "touch up" with the hotel iron.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.