Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trafalgarstore.com sells a silver-plated buckle with engraving at no charge for $45. It looks just like the engine turned buckles you'll see elsewhere for $150 and higher. Has anyone bought one of these? I'm in the market for such a belt and buckle that I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger.

· Registered
4,130 Posts
Silver plate is always less expensive than Sterling silver.

There's a reason: plate wears off.

That being said, I have one of the gold-plated 1" buckles from Trafalgar, and it's held up just fine. I prefer my Sterling buckle, however.

· Registered
5,943 Posts
I don't take spending $150+ lightly at all, but my advice here would be to go for the solid sterling buckle rather than the plated one. certainly, the initial cost is much higher, but you'll be using the sterling buckle for decades to come and so the difference in cost per wearing will be negligible in the long run.

Plus, I suspect that the sterling will last for many years more--and that even if you buy the plate version you might still have a hankering for the sterling, and so will eventually end up buying both. So, save the $45 and so for the sterling right off the bat!

You might like to look at B.D. Jeffries--Mike61 recommends them on another thread, and they're cheaper for sterling buckles than other sources.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.