Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious who would be considered the tradliest/traddiest/most trad LIVING movie star?

I'm thinking perhaps Matt Damon.

P.S.

I figured with all the great commentary about the traddiest college thread this would be fun.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Just curious who would be considered the tradliest/traddiest/most trad LIVING movie star?

P.S.

I figured with all the great commentary about the traddiest college thread this would be fun.
My first thought, since as of today he's still alive, is Bob Newhart, who has been in few movies but is definitely a celebrity.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I know this thread is about stars, not characters, but since it died anyway, I'm going to jump in and get something off my chest.

Tom Ripley is NOT trad. The whole point of the character is that he is trying to enter a world that he doesn't comprehend. Remember the swimming suit scene: his suit stands out like--well, like a lime green swimming suit. His nemesis Freddie Miles comments on his clothes, "who brings a corduroy jacket to Italy?", practically sniffs when he sees the now-rich Ripley's too-fancy slippers, and denounces his apartment as "bourgeois." His spotless flat contains a new piano and Greek statues, while the guys with money have books and jazz albums scattered around, accompanying a portrait or two. Ripley's accommodation is so far from a trad one that Freddie immediately knows something is wrong.

Ripley is new money trying to live the life of the old money. Because it doesn't work, for various reasons, he winds up killing the old money (reversing The Great Gatsby?), including the only person who really cares about him.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know this thread is about stars, not characters, but since it died anyway, I'm going to jump in and get something off my chest.

Tom Ripley is NOT trad. The whole point of the character is that he is trying to enter a world that he doesn't comprehend. Remember the swimming suit scene: his suit stands out like--well, like a lime green swimming suit. His nemesis Freddie Miles comments on his clothes, "who brings a corduroy jacket to Italy?", practically sniffs when he sees the now-rich Ripley's too-fancy slippers, and denounces his apartment as "bourgeois." His spotless flat contains a new piano and Greek statues, while the guys with money have books and jazz albums scattered around, accompanying a portrait or two. Ripley's accommodation is so far from a trad one that Freddie immediately knows something is wrong.

Ripley is new money trying to live the life of the old money. Because it doesn't work, for various reasons, he winds up killing the old money (reversing The Great Gatsby?), including the only person who really cares about him.
You should read the books. You're correct, so far as the Talented Mr Ripley goes, but in the later Ripley books he does assume what one might call a Trad style.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Does Damon dress in the Trad style? I saw him walking around Harvard Square a few years ago: ratty T-shirt, baggy cargo shorts, and Ray-Bans.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Restricted to A-List

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I just watched Vertigo again. I think James Stewart does well, esp. considering he is on the West Coast. He must wear 1/2 dozen suits in the movie, and has a great tweed on when he goes to the tower. I was especially interested in the change in suit color from day to night, replacing the gray with blue in the evening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.