Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say those are the two most popular brands. I would try both, and see which fit your feet the best. I have several pairs that I alternate between. They last forever, and you will see that when you get one pair, you will find yourself "needing" several. I have beater pairs that I wear on the boat all summer that have been through hell and literally high water! You can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will take a side on this one, and tell you that the Sperry Topsider is the definitive boat shoe. Best looking, easily, the rest are all pretenders to its throne. It was the original, and is a part of the casual uniform at Annapolis (I think. This may be apocrypha).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yep, Sperry is the quintessential boat shoe, IMO. Honestly, though, their prices went up a lot about a year(?) ago - I remember paying $60 for their higher-range model, which is now $90 or up. Whichever you chose, don't expect them to last nearly as long as your dress or dress/casual shoes (i.e., AE, Aldens, the usual suspects on this forum), but definitely wear them until they basically fall apart, as the super-worn-in look is more fun ;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've done both Sebago and Sperry. After a few years on each, I prefer the Sperry. A bit less expensive, and lighter on the foot.

Then of course, there was Tucker's great post about the authenticity of Sperry. Unfortunately, in his "one comes up, one comes down" mantra I cannot share it with the greater group.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Then of course, there was Tucker's great post about the authenticity of Sperry. Unfortunately, in his "one comes up, one comes down" mantra I cannot share it with the greater group.
Saved it. I'm sure he won't mind.

Top-Sider ®

August 1978. I'm sixteen. A brand new Ford Thunderbird pulls up to my driveway. The passenger door opens and I'm told to slide into the back. I kick aside an empty bottle of Evan Williams bourbon and take my seat. Lynyrd Skynyrd's "That Smell" plays from an 8-track. "Hey, let me see the bottom of your shoes." I comply. A head nods in seemingly reluctant approval.

Sperry Original Authentic Top-Sider, the correct boat shoe since the 1930's and a prep cliché for more than 27 years. J. Crew will even wash and pre-distress a pair for a mere $14.50 over the regular price.

I guess I passed the sole test *. Hal, the driver of the new T-Bird (his uncle owned a dealership), had picked me up on the first day of school. The school district in this Alabama town did not operate buses, so you had to find your own way to school. Our neighborhood car pool consisted of Hal, Rusty, Chas (son of Charley, the infamous football coach), David and me. I was the odd man out, a new kid in school and "from New York" (thus already somewhat suspect). Had I been wearing Sebagos or the cheap Parisian store brand, I fear I would have been labeled both a pretender and a damn Yankee. Nobody wore Sebagos. Nobody. I still won't consider it.

The year I spent in Alabama opened my eyes to a different style of dress than that to which I was familiar in (way) upstate New York. More chinos, Ralph Lauren Polo polo shirts were prominent, an abundance of madras, brighter colors all-around, Weejuns worn sockless, etc. The pretty girls. The girls I remember the most. Sundresses, khaki skirts, pearls, add-a-bead necklaces, pink stripe oxford cloth button-downs, penny loafers. All the bright colors. The girls in New York were hippies and any similarities to the girls in Alabama began and ended at their Dr. Scholl's wood sandals.

If I'd had more gumption back then, I'd have asked my neighbor Elizabeth to share a ride to school. She was just right in every way that mattered and drove a green VW bug. Future debutante. Future Junior Leaguer. Wore Top-Siders.

* The Top-Sider sole is siped with narrowly-spaced cut grooves. Docksides and their knock-offs at the time had widely-spaced molded grooves.

My 2 cents...

Do you want to be topside or do you want to be on the dock? I wear Top-Siders.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Saved it. I'm sure he won't mind.

Top-Sider ®

August 1978. I'm sixteen. A brand new Ford Thunderbird pulls up to my driveway. The passenger door opens and I'm told to slide into the back. I kick aside an empty bottle of Evan Williams bourbon and take my seat. Lynyrd Skynyrd's "That Smell" plays from an 8-track. "Hey, let me see the bottom of your shoes." I comply. A head nods in seemingly reluctant approval.

Sperry Original Authentic Top-Sider, the correct boat shoe since the 1930's and a prep cliché for more than 27 years. J. Crew will even wash and pre-distress a pair for a mere $14.50 over the regular price.

I guess I passed the sole test *. Hal, the driver of the new T-Bird (his uncle owned a dealership), had picked me up on the first day of school. The school district in this Alabama town did not operate buses, so you had to find your own way to school. Our neighborhood car pool consisted of Hal, Rusty, Chas (son of Charley, the infamous football coach), David and me. I was the odd man out, a new kid in school and "from New York" (thus already somewhat suspect). Had I been wearing Sebagos or the cheap Parisian store brand, I fear I would have been labeled both a pretender and a damn Yankee. Nobody wore Sebagos. Nobody. I still won't consider it.

The year I spent in Alabama opened my eyes to a different style of dress than that to which I was familiar in (way) upstate New York. More chinos, Ralph Lauren Polo polo shirts were prominent, an abundance of madras, brighter colors all-around, Weejuns worn sockless, etc. The pretty girls. The girls I remember the most. Sundresses, khaki skirts, pearls, add-a-bead necklaces, pink stripe oxford cloth button-downs, penny loafers. All the bright colors. The girls in New York were hippies and any similarities to the girls in Alabama began and ended at their Dr. Scholl's wood sandals.

If I'd had more gumption back then, I'd have asked my neighbor Elizabeth to share a ride to school. She was just right in every way that mattered and drove a green VW bug. Future debutante. Future Junior Leaguer. Wore Top-Siders.

* The Top-Sider sole is siped with narrowly-spaced cut grooves. Docksides and their knock-offs at the time had widely-spaced molded grooves.

My 2 cents...

Do you want to be topside or do you want to be on the dock? I wear Top-Siders.
Thanks Drew - those are some good 2 cents.

·
Registered
61 Posts
While Tucker's story, faithfully reprinted here, seems to nail it, I will add support for simple Sperry Topsiders. Mine are well into their fifth year and just keep getting better.

I have seen a few pairs of older Sebagos and they don't seem to hold up as well, but this is purely anecdotal evidence and may not reflect the class as a whole.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Here are the Sperry's I made reference to in an earlier post, there are also a few different styles in the same line. If you have an outlet center with a Ked's shoe store in it check them out. They had the best selection of Sperry's for adults I have ever seen and it seems their outlet store is for kids and adults. They also beat most of the prices on Sperry's website but 40-50%
The classic brown may be what you are looking for
https://www.sperrytopsider.com/shop...Cat=143&iSubCat=144&iProductID=1152&sColor=22

·
Registered
393 Posts
My sperry's have been getting pretty worn and I wanted to replace them but I couldn't find any narrow sizes so I ordered a pair of quoddy's.

I don't know if they're tradlier, but they're much better made, and most importantly they fit much better.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Alright, lads. AQG will step in to offer his near-inebriate wisdom. The debate is between Sperry of the razor-siped sole and Sebago of the big, wavy sole. As to which is Tradlier (note that the comparative rather than the superlative is used as there are only two choices proferred by second poster, Lucky 7), who can say? As to which you should wear, the answer is simple. Those that fit your feet better. Go forth in boat-shod glory.

·
Registered
109 Posts
all I ask is that Sperry make a premium topsider, I will never wear any boat shoe other than the topsider, the cut and design is near perfect. However, I would pay a Quoddy price for Quoddy like construction.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.