Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I've just recently gotten around to registering, I've lurked here for quite a while. I have, in fact, just completed reading all 197 pages of trad-dom.
What I find really interesting is that no matter what posters classify themselves as, they identify (indirectly) many items as trad within a certain radius. I grew up in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and recall seeing some items from each area. The NE was a big contributor, especially as I lived near the bay. There are some items, though, that I've never seen--mostly more extreme cold-weather clothing. The Southern trads were also represented in the King of the South, but some color combinations especially would be considered overdone. When I went to college in the Appalachians, I saw for the first time some items that could be described as leaning toward westernwear, that have also been discussed and accepted here. I'm sure that such influence went from the Old Dominion, to other states, as well. Do any fellow members have stories or observations of this phenomenon?
Now on to building my trad starter kit, as I haven't worn these clothes since I was a lad. Grunge in the 90's and uniforms since; I've much catching up to do!

[I also never had to reuse a nickname for the Mother of Presidents in writing this post :devil:]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the welcome. Baghdad Trad, eh? That's worth seeing what I can pull together!

Now where's my camel-embroidered dishdasha?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Even though I've just recently gotten around to registering, I've lurked here for quite a while. I have, in fact, just completed reading all 197 pages of trad-dom.
What I find really interesting is that no matter what posters classify themselves as, they identify (indirectly) many items as trad within a certain radius. I grew up in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and recall seeing some items from each area. The NE was a big contributor, especially as I lived near the bay. There are some items, though, that I've never seen--mostly more extreme cold-weather clothing. The Southern trads were also represented in the King of the South, but some color combinations especially would be considered overdone. When I went to college in the Appalachians, I saw for the first time some items that could be described as leaning toward westernwear, that have also been discussed and accepted here. I'm sure that such influence went from the Old Dominion, to other states, as well. Do any fellow members have stories or observations of this phenomenon?
Now on to building my trad starter kit, as I haven't worn these clothes since I was a lad. Grunge in the 90's and uniforms since; I've much catching up to do!

[I also never had to reuse a nickname for the Mother of Presidents in writing this post :devil:]
I like your observations. It seems that the further one gets west from the Mississippi the more casual people become. I grew up here in the west, and people just plain aren't formal here. That being said, the west does have it's own brand of trad. And it's not in the ridiculous morons from CA and NY that fly to Jackson and Park City, put on fringe leather and fur and go to art galleries. Think Ernest Hemingway fishing in ID, rather than Ted Kennedy Skiing in ID. :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm from Annapolis. Very trad. Taverns from the 1600s still open. Statehouse dome still held together by wooden pegs. Lots of OCBDs, chinos, penny loafers, emblematic ties too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm from Annapolis. Very trad. Taverns from the 1600s still open. Statehouse dome still held together by wooden pegs. Lots of OCBDs, chinos, penny loafers, emblematic ties too.
You know, I was THIS close to spending four formative years in Annapolis.

My wife's from Maryland, and I can say that the Eastern Virginia/Maryland style is very similar.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I lived in Annapolis one summer on Maryland Avenue between the Statehouse and the academy gates, and I agree that it is a bastion of traditional style. It is not forced or costumey either - a lot of khakis and well-worn OCBDs rather than starched shirts and bowties. There is a lot of nautical trad style.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.