Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

Are there any Tradly suggestions for a day at the stables for riding (English)?

My wife seems to out do me with little effort in riding boots, britches and a polo. Just a thought as I assemble my riding wardrobe. I did just pick up a rather nice pair of Ariat paddock boots in cordovan (color). Sadly, they dropped the color from their catalog in favor of dark brown.

Be Safe,

Jack

· Registered
31 Posts
Congrats on the boots!

I think that what you describe is about as trad as it gets for casual riding. It's the 'uniform' I've seen for as long as I can remember. A day of riding for me is britches, CORDOVAN (those b**tards) Ariats and half-chaps, polo, surcingle belt, and helmet. Even if the individual items aren't rated as high on the trad scale, I would say it shimmies under the heading of 'specialized sports equipment'.

· Registered
194 Posts
When I'm just going for a hack I wear my brown field boots (I hate half chaps), buff breeches, a simple leather belt and a polo shirt. I top it all of with a tweed flat cap while on foot and my hunt cap when mounted.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input lads!! I went to interview a new farm and riding instructor yesterday, majority rode in t's, paddocks and half chaps. I was mildly put off by this initially, but the instructor turned out to be excellent!!

J- When I purchased the Ariat's the tac store had ONE pair of matching half chaps left in the "cordovan-ish color leather". But alas, they were too big for me. I wore the boots riding for the first time yesterday and they were worth every penny though. Extremely comfortable and supportive with no break in necessary.

Be Safe,

Jack

· Registered
811 Posts
Dehner (Dehner.com) can make you some paddock boots in whatever color and with whatever features you like. They are more expensive than Ariat, but they fit perfectly and last severl times as long as Ariats (I never got 2 years out of Ariats - I'm about to reorder Dehners after 8). They made Patton's riding boots - that's trad enough for me.
Britches, to be properly trad, ought not be those 4-way stretch horrors that they will try and sell you. Go to HorseCountryLife.Com and find some moleskin or Bedford Cord. Costly, but last forever. Just leafing through their catalog will be an inspiration.
A simple leather belt with your name on a saddle plate as can be had from Quillins or any harness maker. Or, better yet, an old stirrup leather cut to fit.
A polo shirt is fine, but a tattersall, long sleeve shirt is more traditional for hacking, particularly through brush.
String gloves with leather palms.
Find Wadsworth's "Riding to Hounds in America" - his advice still holds 70 years later, or any of Esquire's Etiquette from the 50s on Sporting Etiquette.
The most trad fellow I knew wore three-buckle field boots all winter and newmarkets (and salt-sack jacket) all summer. And a velvet hunt cap - not one of those modified bicycle hemets.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EXCELLENT Sir!!!!

Certainly the specifics I was looking for and a direction for research. I am stuck with the Ariat boot for now but am not unhappy with them for training although vexed they are only selling the matching half chap in waxed cordovan overseas now. I do not understand this.

Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.