Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
578 Posts
I think 32roll's strategy is a good one. You should easily be able to get shirts and ties via Ebay, and most likely shoes (grapevinehill.com is worth checking as well for shoes).

However, I will say that I have had no luck buying suits on ebay. If you can't find 3/2 sacks in your price range, you might consider the "suiting essentials" at Brooks. Current deal is two suits for $799. Would at least be an alternative to JAB, and would provide you with flat front trousers.

Another possibility to consider is making your navy suit a navy poplin. O'Connell's has 3/2 sack poplin suits for $325.

· Registered
578 Posts
Another option: Lands End suit separates. Right now I believe you can get a full suit for around $200 - $300. I just got an email coupon for 20% off, so that would be around $160 - $240 for a brand new suit. Not bad (even if it is two button darted). And if you upgraded your suiting later, you could still wear the pants on their own.

And not to rain on the seersucker parade, but I would think long and hard before making that part of your regular rotation. I guess it all depends on where you are doing your internship. As an alternative, you might consider the Old Navy two button undarted pincord sport coat that CMDC is wearing in the WAYW thread. He, at least, makes it look good. And I believe its all of $40.

Thanks for your post. This has been a fun challenge. You will have to let us know what you choose.

· Registered
578 Posts
I'm probably going to regret this but...

Columbia SC has some of the best Goodwills anywhere. I just hope your not my size! Check out the Goodwill on Garner's Ferry and the one on Decker.

In the last couple of months I got a beautiful blue Hickey Freeman suit for $12 - Pretty similar to this $1700 one only in blue:

I've picked up wool Orvis Black Watch pants for $4.75

A couple of pairs of Polo linen pants ($4.75ea); A pair of Dumas seersuckers pants ($4.75); Black Mezlan captoes with shoe tress ($2.50);Filson moleskin pants for ($4.75). Got a nice 2" Rooster bowtie for $1 and a nice madras blazer not too long ago.

Tried on a blue and an olive poplin Brooks Bros. suit, both too big for me but about $12 each and in perfect condition a couple of weeks ago.

My latest score was a cool blue blazer with pick stitching, a ticket pocket and functional sleeve buttons made from Vitale Barberis Canoni wool - about $6.

If you really don't want to wear thrift ( I wore thrifted suits for both my 1L and 2L internships and am wearing my new Hickey Freeman to court tomorrow - but hey more for me if you don't) then check out the Brooks Brothers factory outlet at Myrtle Beach. You can get a few poplin suits there for not a lot of money that should get you through the summer.

Here's one on sale for $99.00:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...ection_Id=372&Parent_id=305&Product_Id=971014
Here's to hoping we see more of you in the thrift exchange.

What size were the poplin suits? If they were in the neighborhood of 42R, we should talk.......

· Registered
578 Posts
I've been wokring on building a trad wardrobe on a shoe string for the past couple years.

While thrift stores (and ebay) have some amazing deals and finds, I'm not sure they're all that good for wardrobe (particularly a work wardrobe) building.

If you are going to wear a suit every day I really think you have to bite the bullet and buy new.
It's really hard to find a suit that's in business-wear condition, not dated, and properly fitting when thrifting, especially when you're on a bit of a time constraint.
I would second this assessment.

Incidentally, J.Crew currently has navy and charcoal pinstripe suits on sale on their website. They claim that their "Aldridge" cut is a 3/2 configuration. I haven't seen it in person, so I can't endorse, but it would be under $400 for a new suit in a year-round, work appropriate fabric with some trad/ivy details. They can give you precise measurements over the phone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.