Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I think could be an interesting exercise:

I just received my "Timeless Classics" catalog/novella/embarrassment (seriously, it reads like clothing pulp fiction) from Brooks. It has become clear to me (and to quite a few other members of this forum, apparently) that BB no longer is the flag bearer of Trad. Not even close. In fact, I'm nervous to walk into their store for fear of walking out looking like I purchased my whole outfit in Milan. ("Milano" fit chinos, anyone?)

So, what I propose to this forum is the following: regional loyalties aside (i.e. "I like so-and-such because it's twenty minutes from my house..."), who is currently the best purveyor of TNSIL clothing in America? Which store/company/mail order/website/whatever does the best job of carrying on this sartorial tradition? Let's hear it, gents.

Now, I understand that no one store is "perfect" for everything. Some will no doubt say, "order MTM from Southwick, Press for S. dogs, Barbour for barn coats, etc." And I'm certainly open for this type of opinion. But, if you could only go to ONE store for the rest of your life, what would it be? Hopefully this thread will house some lively debate.

·
Registered
225 Posts
J. Press

But I'm a Heretic, and have or have had Pleated Gray Flannels, a Black Cashmere Jacket, Two-button Burberry Blazer, Two-button Pinstripe Pressidential Suit, Round-collar Shirt, Spread-collar Shirt, Rainbow Stripe Shaggy Dog Sweater, Striped Tennis Flannels... ALL from Press over the past two decades. And I do so miss Chipp.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I think this has been done before. Check the Archives.

My own favorites: Brooks, O'Connell's, J. Press.

Brooks still has the gotta-iron OCBDs and Alden-made shoes I like. They also have a lot of smaller things, like bow ties, socks, etc. that work well for me. IIRC, they even show a sack blazer and a sack sport jacket in that book.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I've not been to O'Connells, but I was just doing a thorough peruse of their website and they seem to be the winner to me in this debate. There is very little on their site that I would not consider buying.

I live near Andover, but O'Connells prices seem lower and they seem to have lots more old stock items.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
Traditional is now a "niche" market. Brooks is far too broad based to be able to be what they were. There are not enough people looking for the "classic' mode to permit a large marketer to profitably make it work. There are pockets of customers in some larger metropolitan cites to allow a specialty shop to exist. The broadest range of selectivity will remain MTM products- here everything you order will be cut as you like it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Unequivocally, J. Press. If O'Connell's had as many locations, it would be close, but they don't. So J. Press reigns supreme.

I like BB's bow ties, and I really need to stock up on some of those must-iron oxford shirts before they quit making them. But for everything else they currently sell, I can find perfectly suitable substitutes at a local men's shop, department store, or online mass retailer (like (horrors) JAB ).

Scott

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My top five list

#1. Thrift Town
#2. Vintage Thrift
#3. Deseret Industries (depends on the day and location)
#4. Savers
#5. Ec*clec*tic

Nobody makes really TRAD clothing on American soil anymore, and the Japanese purveyors (VAN Shop, etc) don't carry tall sizes.

Now if you re-arrange the letters a bit, there is a lot of 'Tard clothing being sold by mainstream retailers here on American soil. Yeah, the fibers are being dyed and woven together in third world sweat shops, but at least the "sweat" shirts are being appliqued or embroidered or otherwise decorated here.

Okay, okay, joking aside: J. Press, Ben Silver, Andover Shop, CCC, Dann Online. Obviously you have to include the odd TRAD offerings by Murray's of Nantucket, Orvis, Central Watchband Stand, etc. etc. etc.

I've recently began to wonder if we might be barking up the wrong tree by trying to stretch our paychecks between paydays. Instead, I'm trying to figure out a way to fold my calendar such that the paydays are touching.

I call it the "income pleat".

Too bad pleats are off limits around here, it could have been great!

·
Registered
280 Posts
M Dumas and Sons.

I believe that the question was if you could choose only one. M Dumas is great because they carry both casual and dressier attire at fairly reasonable prices....especially compared to Ben Silver two block further down King St.
You could definitely build a decent Trad wardrobe from their offerings.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
M Dumas and Sons.

I believe that the question was if you could choose only one. M Dumas is great because they carry both casual and dressier attire at fairly reasonable prices....especially compared to Ben Silver two block further down King St.
You could definitely build a decent Trad wardrobe from their offerings.
Good to know about M Dumas & Sons. You're right, I forgot we had to go to one store to purchase a complete TRAD wardrobe. Ralph Lauren has had a few stores around here that came awfully close to this idea, even if there was that ubiquitous logo on everything.

The OPH mentioned the Trad clothier a football's toss away from every Ivy League campus. If Trad is truly on life support, then maybe we should stop calling the look "Ivy" and start calling it the "I.V. League look".

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good to know about M Dumas & Sons. You're right, I forgot we had to go to one store to purchase a complete TRAD wardrobe. Ralph Lauren has had a few stores around here that came awfully close to this idea, even if there was that ubiquitous logo on everything.

The OPH mentioned the Trad clothier a football's toss away from every Ivy League campus. If Trad is truly on life support, then maybe we should stop calling the look "Ivy" and start calling it the "I.V. League look".
If you're ever in the Charleston area you should definitely visit M Dumas. They have had to broaden their offerings in the last two to three years to meet the demands of all of the transplants to the area, but haven't done away with any of their trad offerings and their staff is great. It's a shame they don't do an online business.

·
Registered
549 Posts
M. Dumas is a wonderfull store. So is Ludens. Both will be able to fully outfit you for a hunting weekend. Both offer plain front khakis, button down collar shirts and rep ties to wear around town. Neither sells a 3r2 sack coat or suit however, so for those purists among us we will have to look elsewhere in Charleston.

Ben Silver coats are mostly sack cut, but 2 button (should be easy for a tailor to create the 3rd button hole- for the price BS should include that as part of the alterations). Polo will occasionally offer a sack cut. Grainger Owings can create an authentic 3r2 sack from their MTM program (Samuelsohn- Canada). The local Brooks Brothers on King stocks a surprising amount of sack garments. The manager and staff understand that the local clientele expect it. I stopped in the other day and 2 of the staff were wearing sacks. They understand and will search the system for in stock items if they don't have it in the store. Good people that want to give the customer what they want.

Best,

Ross

·
Registered
280 Posts
M Dumas used to sell a small selection of sports coats and dress trousers (in the very back of the store). I moved away from Charleston two years ago for grad school and ended up in the midwest. Have they stopped carrying sports coats all together in that time? I was in the store earlier this summer when I was home for a visit, but didn't venture to the back of the shop.

M. Dumas is a wonderfull store. So is Ludens. Both will be able to fully outfit you for a hunting weekend. Both offer plain front khakis, button down collar shirts and rep ties to wear around town. Neither sells a 3r2 sack coat or suit however, so for those purists among us we will have to look elsewhere in Charleston.

Ben Silver coats are mostly sack cut, but 2 button (should be easy for a tailor to create the 3rd button hole- for the price BS should include that as part of the alterations). Polo will occasionally offer a sack cut. Grainger Owings can create an authentic 3r2 sack from their MTM program (Samuelsohn- Canada). The local Brooks Brothers on King stocks a surprising amount of sack garments. The manager and staff understand that the local clientele expect it. I stopped in the other day and 2 of the staff were wearing sacks. They understand and will search the system for in stock items if they don't have it in the store. Good people that want to give the customer what they want.

Best,

Ross

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
But I'm a Heretic, and have or have had Pleated Gray Flannels, a Black Cashmere Jacket, Two-button Burberry Blazer, Two-button Pinstripe Pressidential Suit, Round-collar Shirt, Spread-collar Shirt, Rainbow Stripe Shaggy Dog Sweater, Striped Tennis Flannels... ALL from Press over the past two decades. And I do so miss Chipp.
But as Chipp2 (Winston Tailors), Paul Winston has kept the faith, in MTM and bespoke wear. We all do miss the Chipp Haberdashery, of course, and for RTW, J. Press and Andover are as good as we get now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.