Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm actually taking up this incredibly frustrating sport (oddly fun too), and started to do some poking around and discovered Louisville Golf:

https://www.louisvillegolf.com/

It looks like they make some rather tradly clubs (either 1950's era steel shafts and wooden drivers, or hickory shafted clubs).

Anyone have experience with their clubs?

Any suggestions for other tradly golfing equipment/attire? Not looking for anything as ridiculous as Bertie Wooster in his plus fours, but also not looking for nike products.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't own any Louisville Golf clubs so can't comment on them but... you should be looking for a set that is easy to play. They are often called Super Game Improvement (SGI) or Game Improvement (GI).

If Louisville Golf makes one of these sets, try it out. Another 'tradly' maker of golf clubs is Wilson. Somewhat classic looking but with lots of new technology.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/wilson-golf-staff-di7-distance-irons-set-steel.html

Purchasing a set of clubs is alot like purchasing a suit:
1) Fit is paramount. Not all clubs fit all people. Try before you buy.
2) Always buy on sale. Buy last year's model this year.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I don't know how you play, but I think that soon you will come to the realization that at least some of the new technology is unavoidable if you want to score respectably. Until recently I've used persimmon woods and steel shafts, but as I get older, as courses get longer, using rescue clubs, hybrids just make the game more fun. I write this with some regret, as the sound of a well struck shot with a persimmon wood can not be approximated with any of the new, very expensive woods that most people use today.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you are just picking up golf, the last thing you want to do is get clubs that use 1950s technology. Like another poster said, you need to look for super game improvement clubs. The leading companies for these clubs are Callaway, Cobra and Taylor Made. You would be making golf a lot harder then it needs to be if you by from Louisville. That's really the kind of thing that avid golfers buy and put in their office for looks. I'd stick to making your clothes trad, and not your clubs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nolan's exactly right...it would be crazy to buy these clubs and learn to play. I learned to play when I was 13 using a set of clubs that were about 10 years old - that said, it was 1993 and people still used persimmon heads. So, I learned to hit on persimmon heads and could probably still hit with them if I had to, but why would you do that? That would be like continuing to play with a balata ball today. Heck - the set I learned to play on included a 2 iron! Who, but Davis Love III, still hits a 2 iron? Anyone who says they do are the kind of people who claim to be a scratch golfer, but truth be told if they play the ball down - USGA rules, the only thing they're scratching is their head. I'm not into the Callaway clubs that look like a boat oat, but there are other clubs out there that can make the experience more enjoyable.

Buy good clubs...get fitted and do it right, otherwise you'll be stuffing a set of clubs into a dark corner in your garage.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I learned using persimmon also, but would never dream of going back. A miss-hit metal results far better than a mis-hit wood.

And as for the argument that we should stem the tide of technology, notice that the Cleveland woods do not have a hickory shaft. Nor are they selling gutta golf balls. Metal shafts and rubber golf balls were once considered cutting edge technology also. Courses are longer to make up for the technology changes, so why handicap yourself.

As many have said, get yourself fitted with some inexpensive forgiving clubs. When you are good at golf, you can purchase an old wood at a thrift store and see how it was in the old days.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see a lot of people suggesting "game improvement" clubs and what not, but I can honestly say that I really would rather not get into the newfangled stuff.

I love technology as much as the next guy, if not more so, but I'm not looking to play golf as a professional, or to have a score I can brag about, or anything else like that. I'm doing it as something that could be an interesting hobby that involves a certain degree of skill. I'd much rather end my day knowing that my score isn't the result of some high tech innovation.

To put it into context, I actually enjoyed skiing more before the shaped parabolic skiis came out. In fact, I actually enjoyed going down mild slopes with metal edged cross country skiis than I did going down black diamonds on modern alpine equipment. To phrase it another way, I have more respect for Spitz than I do for Phelps, because at least Spitz didn't have these fancy suits that they now have.

Thanks for the inputs so far -- any additional suggestions as to embarking on this new adventure in the manner in which it has traditionally done would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In that case then do not buy the Louisville stuff as it will certainly have some new GI technology built into even if it is persimmon.

Some old favorites of mine...
Vintage Tommy Armour Tourney Silver Scot Iron Set golf

Wilson Staff irons

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The '57 Chevy was and is an iconic automobile. Today it is great for collectors and antique car buffs to tinker with, enjoy, tooling around town every now and again or taking to shows featuring similar vehicles. However, as good as it was in its day, I don't think I'd want to be stuck driving one as my main mode of transportation in today's world. Golf is one of the most difficult games in the world to even get respectable enough to not embarrass oneself. Even if you should happen to develop a respectable game using 1950's clubs, people wouldn't look at you as a traditionalist...just odd. As one poster indicated, buy them for decoration for your den or office...get a set of clubs that will help you play to your best level and wear a pair of Bill's Khakis and a traditional polo shirt and (if needed) sweater while hitting clubs made for today. Anything can be taken too far. With all due respect, I'm afraid your idea of trad golf clubs to actually play with is only a recipe for grief and whispers behind your back. As someone said about wearing plus fours...you can only get away with it if you are one helluva golfer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Forget it

I've seen the louisville clubs and played with a few folks that used them. They were low handicappers and rich. If you are beginning the game DON'T use these. Get easy to hit irons-cobras etc. and have someone fit them for you and metal woods which are also easier. When your handicap is below 10 think about louisville.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Saltydog is right. I am a hardcore purist and held onto my persimmon woods and forged blades way too long. I miss them but enjoy playing with my Titleist 983 driver, 980 fairway woods, 822OS irons and Vokey wedges. Nothing is more traditional than the wound ball but in a matter of three seasons it completely disappeared and is no longer made. You will enjoy the game far more using current equipment. Incidentally my clubs are all in their fifth season now and when I go to golf collectors' shows I see persimmons and forged blades languishing unsold. If I still had mine I'd hang them over the fireplace but I can't imagine playing with them again.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I agree that only fools try and begin with blades rather than cavity-back irons, and "real" woods are more of a gimmick than anything else, but I do find it kind of hard to embrace the whole hybrid club thing.

One new trend not to fall for is are all these new drivers that look like ham hocks on the end of a stick. It doesn't matter how far a club hits the ball if you can't hit it in the right direction. Buy a nice set of used clubs, learn how to use them and then get the latest and greatest driver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any additional suggestions as to embarking on this new adventure in the manner in which it has traditionally done would be much appreciated.
Like most people here, I wouldn't recommend taking up golf with a set of 1950s clubs any sooner than I would recommend buying a black and white television set, but maybe one way to acheive your goal here is to buy a newer set of very traditional looking blades (which will be plenty hard to hit) and, if you want to use a few clubs from the old days, augment that set with a traditional (or updated) Bullseye putter and, for fun, a 1 iron. Something like

clubs

putter

"driving iron"

If you start hitting that one iron well, you will know that you have learned to hit a golf ball with any assistance from your club.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Louisville Golf has gotten high marks for their equipment. Some maintain that the old skool gear is just as effective as the pricier new stuff, arguing that handicaps haven't dropped that much over the decades. So maybe worth a try, although you can thrift around a bit and pick up some used persimmon woods and some nice old blade irons for next to nothing. Perhaps some experimentation first...

I usually play, when I can, in Bills Khakis, Polo shirts, and Florsheim saddles. My own gear, btw, consists of some fairly old (metal) woods, Ben Hogan blade irons, and a putter that my Dad used in the 1960s and '70s. I have to say that the new balls are incredible--worth the big $$$, and a good reason to NOT spend a lot to upgrade clubs. Even if you're just starting out, I think it's a good idea to play a decent ball (Titleist ProV1s are fantastic but expensive; the NXTs are similar but cheaper).

Oh, one other thing: If you want to go REALLY old skool and not wear a glove (and buying one every few rounds can add up), there are some new-ish, soft-feeling grips that won't tear up your hands. Winn is the best known, but Golf Pride and Lamkin also offer their own versions.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
As far as I know, Original Penguin makes THE traditional golf shirt. (Though lately they've been trying to appeal to the young demographic.) I've got an Earl shirt and love it.

·
Banned
4,321 Posts
Saltydog is right. I am a hardcore purist and held onto my persimmon woods and forged blades way too long. I miss them but enjoy playing with my Titleist 983 driver, 980 fairway woods, 822OS irons and Vokey wedges. Nothing is more traditional than the wound ball but in a matter of three seasons it completely disappeared and is no longer made. You will enjoy the game far more using current equipment. Incidentally my clubs are all in their fifth season now and when I go to golf collectors' shows I see persimmons and forged blades languishing unsold. If I still had mine I'd hang them over the fireplace but I can't imagine playing with them again.
Finally a real post. Thanks. Things change, God, Country, and Capitalism excluded.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.