Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been an admirer of "trad" looks for my dress at work for a while, and think I'm doing alright with it. However, I am struggling with trad for casual clothing. Anyone have any suggestions beyond a polo and chinos?

I find some of the more youthful prep-style looks to be, well, too youthful for me. I have mostly arrived at middle age, and prefer to not be one of those men trying to dress 20 years younger than they are.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
"Casual" is really sort of event-dependent (are you sailing? golfing? going to some kind of afternoon thing like a brunch or church picnic?), but that's kind of a feature of casual Trad, you dress like a 12 year old boy (chinos, polo, mocs) essentially forever.

DH

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
An oxford cloth short-sleeve popover is a nice casual look in the summer (or more in Texas). Maybe a tartan sport shirt in winter or a Pendleton?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This is actually quite easy. Unless you are wearing a suit, the entire Trad canon is mostly casual. For example, when you get home from work, take off your Sport Coat, add a sweater. Bam, instant 'more casual.'

I've been an admirer of "trad" looks for my dress at work for a while, and think I'm doing alright with it. However, I am struggling with trad for casual clothing. Anyone have any suggestions beyond a polo and chinos?

I find some of the more youthful prep-style looks to be, well, too youthful for me. I have mostly arrived at middle age, and prefer to not be one of those men trying to dress 20 years younger than they are.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
This is actually quite easy. Unless you are wearing a suit, the entire Trad canon is mostly casual. For example, when you get home from work, take off your Sport Coat, add a sweater. Bam, instant 'more casual.'
You'll never go wrong with OCBD's Cords in winter, Khakis in summer. If you'll go to the "stickey" near the top of this forum, you'll find a wealth of links, info and suggestions. It's really quite easy. Just reject most current "styles" and go to the recommendations on this forum.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The more casual it gets, the harder it becomes, because formality is often a byproduct of age. We know certain things look good due to institutional experience. With more casual styles, you are trying to take the core principles of the look and apply them to things they've never been applied to before, which can be hard to do.

Fortunately, people are always trying to do this, so there is a bit of a track record to go on if you want something other than khakis and a polo. How do you feel about rugby shirts? What about 5-pocket corduroys?

If that's a bit too far, there's always the khaki-casual baseline of khakis and a sweatshirt with canvas deck shoes. (Keds was a fan of this one, naturally.)

(Courtesy of Armchaired over on FNB)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.