Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry, but these guys are both assholes...makes me want to move, to another planet...I can't believe I'm still watching.

· Registered
3,258 Posts
I'm sorry, but these guys are both assholes...makes me want to move, to another planet...I can't believe I'm still watching.
I couldn't have said it better!:aportnoy:

TCM was showing The Graduate tonight...much more compelling viewing than watching Obama and McCain bicker like a couple of 14-year-old girls.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
I think they both did fine.

I assume the people who are criticizing them are complaining about the fact that both of them decided to use questions as jumping-off points for what they wanted to talk about, rather than answering the questions. I can understand that view, but I'm not sure it's really hitting the mark: in a format like this, who's to say that the job of the candidates is to answer the questions? Aren't they really there to present themselves as best they can?

I don't think that this debate will change many minds.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
One weird thing: I was watching the lights, and when the time was up the red light would come on briefly and then all the lights would go off, so there wasn't anything in the candidates' faces reminding them they were out of time. It seems pretty obvious that it would be better to turn the light on and leave it on.

In the Vermont Supreme Court we have a red light that flashes when you want a warning, and then stays on when you're completely out of time. One of them is right on top of the lectern, so not only can you see that you're out of time, the justices can too. You don't want to be in the position of making them to tell you to stop talking and sit down, although I've seen it happen.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I did eventually turn it off, but from what I saw Tom Brokaw was a little nasty himself. That didn't help the overall viewability either.

· Registered
3,297 Posts

I assume the people who are criticizing them are complaining about the fact that both of them decided to use questions as jumping-off points for what they wanted to talk about, rather than answering the questions. I can understand that view, but I'm not sure it's really hitting the mark: in a format like this, who's to say that the job of the candidates is to answer the questions? Aren't they really there to present themselves as best they can?

I agree. The format left it open for the candidates to do this. Rather, it would have been more meaningful to allow the candidates to pose questions to one another and let them mix it up. Who says these debates have to be civil. Let them push each other around a little and and call each other out. Lets see how they do under pressure.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts

Jack is spot on, with his assessment but, I really wish Senator McCain hadn't referred to Senator Obama as, "that one!" Came off as too mean spirited and petty for a Presidential candidate.

· Registered
3,297 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
It was unwatchable. The time constraints left little time for them to get beyond their talking points and the fact that both campaigns negotiated the content to protect their candidate meant that we saw nothing of substance, not that either of these guys has much in that realm to begin with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.