Men's Clothing Forums banner

Topcoats. Canali or Hickey Freeman?

3K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  215339 
#1 ·
Just retired and its time to retire my 30+ year old grey herringbone wool overcoat. There are a lot of choices for sure but Made in USA, UK or Italian are "at the peg". By that I mean top dollar like $2000 and more. HF never goes on sale and Canali's are less for Cashmere. Any recommendations or advice?

#4 ·
The HF at $2k is at least 100% cashmere so that’s something. If they are equivalent on fit, I’d probably go with HF over Canali just because of this and because of where I hold a topcoat in the hierarchy of things I’m willing to spend money on. For a 5 minute walk from the car to the office and living in the south, it’s low on the list.

I would personally spend half on the one from O’Connell’s and use the money saved on shoes. :cool:

#5 ·
The HF at $2k is at least 100% cashmere so that's something. If they are equivalent on fit, I'd probably go with HF over Canali just because of this and because of where I hold a topcoat in the hierarchy of things I'm willing to spend money on. For a 5 minute walk from the car to the office and living in the south, it's low on the list.

I would personally spend half on the one from O'Connell's and use the money saved on shoes. :cool:
Yea good advice. At my stage (retired) there are not many opportunities to wear one but def need new. Ed

#6 ·
Certainly o connels 's has some great products. But quick question. Not sure of your lifestyle but I might question if a longer overcoat is really necessary or at least if it is worth spending $$$ on. I grew up around Manhattan and most men who worked there including my father had both a trench coat and an overcoat. They wore it over suits and sport coats and often were walking in a breezy and cold city. also great waiting on those frigid train platforms in the cold dark mornings. Once you retire however, depending on Where you live, I think the need Goes way down. Living in Suburbia and getting in and out of a car everywhere I go does not lend itself well to a long coat. Plus there is a good chance (even for an AAAC member) that you may dress up less now.
Might be worth a few minutes of thought as to how much you will actually wear something like this. There are certainly other options. Or, if you are not averse to used clothing maybe think about visiting some consignment stores, or even some thrift stores or EBay. It is certainly worth looking at to find a barely used garment at a fraction of the cost new. Leftover funds could be used for a shorter Barbour or similar which does not need to be taken off every time you get in the car.
Maybe other retired members have some thoughts.

Reactions: ILeftNJ and .36864
#17 ·
Great points. I did sales and was all over NE major cities. Had the Burberry trench and wool overcoat. I had looked at some used toppers too but wanted new, then came the sticker shock. I am a church goer and sadly when you get older you go to more funerals. Perhaps the Barbour or car coat makes more sense. This was helpful!! Thanks Ed O

#7 ·
Two points:

First, if you don't mind a coat from a thrift shop, there are dozens of overcoats and topcoats you can find from almost any maker at Goodwill and other shops in most areas. Sometimes, if you are lucky, you may even find brand new or NOS coats, often with the tags still on them. The prices I have paid range from $10 to $25, for 100% pure wool, 100% cashmere, or wool/cashmere blends. I have not bought an HF overcoat yet, but I have one from Hart, Schaffner and Marx, almost new. It's excellent and a great fit. These low prices give you greater flexibility to experiment a bit and try out different cuts and styles. Also, if you really like a particular garment or house style, then you could spend more money and buy a new one in that style.

Second, I have read (here in AAAC, if I recollect correctly) that cashmere is softer and finer, and therefore somewhat less durable over time than pure wool. Since overcoats can get fairly heavy or rough wear, this might be a point worth considering. But if your 30-year-old herringbone coat was cashmere, and wore well, then you could ignore this issue. I'm sure there are variations and grades in the quality of cashmere, like any other material, so this factor can influence your decision.

#8 ·
Cashmere is lighter, softer and more delicate than wool. It feels better than wool because you get more warmth from less weight. Heavy wool, on the other hand, lasts a lifetime and is more wind-resistant. Finding a properly heavy wool coat is very difficult these days. Few places make proper overcoats anymore. It's mostly topcoats of heavy suiting rather than coating.

#23 ·
Nice website. As previously posted my old topcoat was made by Austin Reed which went bankrupt a few years back. Seems here in US dept store labels are all knockoffs with HF seeming to be the only quality US made label. I will check them out, all custom made. Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.