Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am hoping owners of top frame briefcases could help me navigate the purchase of one. I want not only the top to open in the traditional style (as a mouth) but also for the case to stand upright on its own and not need to lean against something or lie flat on its back.

Can you all tell me if soft or harder leather is better here? I've seen some cases advertised as belting, others as genuine or bridle and am unsure how they will differ. I am looking at a vintage English case, but it is so hard I can knock on the outside of it (Which makes me unsure if the leather is real), but the sides are softer and feel like leather.

Also, I want the case to take up a minimal footprint, so I like the old Brooks Brothers style that seems to not be as wide as some others. Is there a way to tell (online) how wide a case might sit? In a soft bag, my contents are about 5.5/6", but in a topframe, the brief expands to 7" with the same goods.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am hoping owners of top frame briefcases could help me navigate the purchase of one. I want not only the top to open in the traditional style (as a mouth) but also for the case to stand upright on its own and not need to lean against something or lie flat on its back.

Can you all tell me if soft or harder leather is better here? I've seen some cases advertised as belting, others as genuine or bridle and am unsure how they will differ. I am looking at a vintage English case, but it is so hard I can knock on the outside of it (Which makes me unsure if the leather is real), but the sides are softer and feel like leather.

Also, I want the case to take up a minimal footprint, so I like the old Brooks Brothers style that seems to not be as wide as some others. Is there a way to tell (online) how wide a case might sit? In a soft bag, my contents are about 5.5/6", but in a topframe, the brief expands to 7" with the same goods.

Thanks for the feedback!
My wife gave me this briefcase several years ago and I love it. You can usually find it for a bit less at various retailers, if my memory serves. I think it fits your list of wants.

https://bosca.com/partners-brief-old-leather-classic.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve seen these Bosca’s, which I like, but I’m looking for one that doesn’t angle and that remains straight, not curved, in design.

Are Gladstone style cases typically hard leather—where you can k kick on them—or stiff, but soft, leather?

·
Registered
981 Posts
To OP: Is this something that you are looking for in terms of design?

In terms of hard or soft leather, I would think that is based on preference whether you want hard or soft. However, for briefcase I would think a bit stiff or hard should be better than soft, lumpy bag which cannot stand on its own.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, this is the Topframe/Gladstone style I'm after, but a recent vintage one I took a chance is so stiff the exterior feels like plastic thought the sides feel like leather. I also want the case to stand on its own but not have a very wide shape as some of these can.

To OP: Is this something that you are looking for in terms of design?

In terms of hard or soft leather, I would think that is based on preference whether you want hard or soft. However, for briefcase I would think a bit stiff or hard should be better than soft, lumpy bag which cannot stand on its own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.