• ONLY OVER 50

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • NEVER WEAR THEM

Votes: 8 8.7%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
below are pictures of Ben Clarke a 22 year old candiate on the apprentice sries 5 (uk) he wears braces quite a lot do members think hes to young or does age not matter with braces personally im 27 and think they look amazing i love wearing braces so what do others think? The reason i ak is a lot of the forums on the apprentice think he looks stupid one of his fellow contastants even said "whys he wearing braces cant he get trousers that fit him" little does he know about braces.
Sorry for bad pictures couldnt find any online so had to point camera at tv

· Registered
100 Posts
Keep the jacket on and it's not an issue.
Visible braces can look affected, and the young are not grandfathered in on this affectation.
Agreed. While braces may have gotten less popular over the years, I don't see them as being considered an "old man's item", like, say, hats or tie bars. This may have something to do with the fact that they were quite popular among the 80s power dressers; indeed, that guy seems to aping Gordon Gecko with aplomb.

· Registered
164 Posts
Keep the jacket on and it's not an issue.
Visible braces can look affected, and the young are not grandfathered in on this affectation.
I agree. The man in the photographs above looks like a Gordon Gecko impersonator. Visible braces or constrast cuffs alone, he could get away with. Both at the same time approaches costume. I would recommend he keep his jacket on, or get a waistcoat.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Yeaaahh, I too looked at him and thought, "Gecko poser."

If he didn't have the contrast cuffs and collar it wouldn't be too bad. I personally don't mind, but I think his combo of pinstripe shirt and striped braces shows a lack of coordination in his clothes. ...or is that the screen resolution? Anyway, he just needs to tone down that package with the bright blue and white collar.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
Anyone can wear braces, but Ben Clarke isn't wearing his very well. Showing them off isn't appropriate. If he wants to wear them, they should be hidden behind his suit coat. And he's hanging his trousers too low, and the trousers also don't fit well. If they were up at his waist, they'd look much better. They look much better on Gordon Gekko because his trousers fit and are worn at a more appealing height. I don't know about Clarke, but Gekko's trousers have forward pleats, which look very nice with braces. Gekko's only problem is that his tie is too long.

To add, I'm 21 and I occasionally wear braces. I wear them with suits and sports coats with odd trousers, and I never put them on display. The most people will see is if I unbutton my coat and reach into my trouser pockets. I wear them for comfort, and I don't think there should be an age limit on comfort.

· Registered
1,514 Posts
I've seen children wear braces. Are they too young to wear? Ha. Of course not! And I don't have to recite the Oscar Wilde maxim about braces...

Seriously, I give kudos to Clarke for wearing proper braces. At least he is one of a few who knows what proper braces are. But yes, a waistcoat would have been better used to cover them up after the fact that he wears them is now ingrained into our consciousness. But I suppose it is a little hot in the boardrooms, no?

And I suspect that Adrian Chiles will poke fun at him and present him with a box of braces if he gets fired (I'd like to see if he gives him the correct button-on ones or show his ignorance with clip-ons)! Pressie sorted!

· Registered
1,731 Posts
The options in the poll are perhaps too coarse - over 20/25 would be better. Some how they look wrong on anyone up to 20 and you need to be very careful that they are not perceived as over dress whilst you are in the early years of graduate training. Recall that it is not what people here think, rather your peers and line managers - they could be career threatening if they make you appear aloof.

· Registered
502 Posts
All members of the Bracemaker extended clan start life wearing nappy's with buttons in the correct positions for the essential accessory. After 5 generations how could it be otherwise?
Ben Clarke is on a TV programme where the basic premise is 'Get yourself noticed and talked about'. It purports to be about getting yourself a job as a yes man for Sir Alan but the truth is the wannabees who have failed in that but got themselves noticed in the process have gone on to have careers as TV pundits and presenters. I think young Mr Clarke has taken that on board and dressed differently from all the other candidates TO MAKE AN IMPRESSION and get himself talked about. Seems to be working.

· Registered
94 Posts
Anyone can wear braces, but Ben Clarke isn't wearing his very well. Showing them off isn't appropriate. If he wants to wear them, they should be hidden behind his suit coat. And he's hanging his trousers too low, and the trousers also don't fit well. If they were up at his waist, they'd look much better. They look much better on Gordon Gekko because his trousers fit and are worn at a more appealing height. I don't know about Clarke, but Gekko's trousers have forward pleats, which look very nice with braces. Gekko's only problem is that his tie is too long.

To add, I'm 21 and I occasionally wear braces. I wear them with suits and sports coats with odd trousers, and I never put them on display. The most people will see is if I unbutton my coat and reach into my trouser pockets. I wear them for comfort, and I don't think there should be an age limit on comfort.
Amen. I think you're never too young to wear braces, but never old enough to wear them without a jacket.

· Registered
3,539 Posts
You look silly at any age walking around with braces showing. In fact, anyone walking around with their knickers showing looks silly.

However, everyone looks good with trousers whose leg line looks longer and creaseless. That is what braces are for. Like busy back stage machinery and apparatus, braces are not meant to be seen by the audience.

BTW I am still looking around for some silk Kama Sutra braces. Any idea where I can find them? :icon_smile_big:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.