Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
7,502 Posts
Merc isn't exactly quality, and their material doesn't look like proper Tonic.
Well, I immediately have to diasgree, Merc is what it is, and for what it is, it is very good quality. No one is claiming that Merc is a Saville Row outfitter.
And tonic wasn't exactly bought and worn by the types who usually frequent Saville Row anyway, now was it?
Tonic was more Carnaby Street, and tonic suits were streetwear in the 60s and 70s and worn mostly by Mods and Skinheads.

As for how Merc's tonic suit that appears on photos, tonic never looks like tonic in photose. But I can assure that my friend's suit is proper tonic in whenever I see him in it.

· Registered
399 Posts
Well, I immediately have to diasgree, Merc is what it is, and for what it is, it is very good quality. No one is claiming that Merc is a Saville Row outfitter.
And tonic wasn't exactly bought and worn by the types who usually frequent Saville Row anyway, now was it?
Tonic was more Carnaby Street, and tonic suits were streetwear in the 60s and 70s and worn mostly by Mods and Skinheads.

As for how Merc's tonic suit that appears on photos, tonic never looks like tonic in photos. But I can assure that my friend's suit is proper tonic in whenever I see him in it.
I've been around the Mod scene for over 20 years, and my considered opinion of Merc is based on first hand knowledge. Sorry if I sound full of it but I was trying to be helpfull the the OP.

· Registered
7,502 Posts
I've been around the Mod scene for over 20 years, and my considered opinion of Merc is based on first hand knowledge. Sorry if I sound full of it but I was trying to be helpfull the the OP.
Fair enough. I'm not saying you're full of it at all.

Perhaps just dismissive of a whole range of clothing, but that's based on your experience and your opinion, so that's fair enough as well.

And only 20 years...? ;) You lightweight :)

I still remember the first time I donned a pair of boots, jeans and a checked button shirt in 1976 to go to my very first after-school job.

I've got several items from Merc, and am very pleased with them. Especially the lightweight Harrington I recently acquired. Which is far better in material quality and fit than any of my previous Harringtons.

Lets also remember that not everyone's wallet stretches to suits in unusual fabrics run up by individual tailors.

· Registered
399 Posts
Fair enough. I'm not saying you're full of it at all.

Perhaps just dismissive of a whole range of clothing, but that's based on your experience and your opinion, so that's fair enough as well.

And only 20 years...? ;) You lightweight :)

I still remember the first time I donned a pair of boots, jeans and a checked button shirt in 1976 to go to my very first after-school job.

I've got several items from Merc, and am very pleased with them. Especially the lightweight Harrington I recently acquired. Which is far better in material quality and fit than any of my previous Harringtons.

Lets also remember that not everyone's wallet stretches to suits in unusual fabrics run up by individual tailors.
Fair do's fella, KeepThe Faith.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
My understanding is that "tonik" is the Dormeuil brand for it's 3ply wool and mohair worsted cloth. I think it was developed in the early 60s and was woven by Halstead in Huddersfield. They still stock it but it is not as heavy as the original. Tonik 2000 was introduced as a lighter alternative in the 90s and is lighter still.
Dormeuil sell direct to the public from their shop in Sackville street but you will get a much better price if your tailor buys it for you.
A lot of the cheaper "tonik" type cloths will have man-made fibres mixed with it. More skinhead than mod.

W_B

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.