Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
That does look pretty good. The details come together well, with the peaked lapels, the pocket square, etc. Much better than some celebrities I've seen lately... It's a good look.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I think his tie knot is reasonably well-scaled to the size of his collar leaves, maybe a touch big but not grotesquely so. But he's a smaller-framed man, so maybe he should err on the side of a smaller knot.

Trouser break looks fine.

I've read he goes to Timothy Everest. Any members intrigued by the idea of a one-button, peak-lapel suit (but not able to pay for bespoke, as Cruise surely did) might be able to find one here for about $640, incl shipping to the US:

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is interesting to see the distinction between suits and dinner suits being blurred.

Obama and his notch lapel single vent dinner jacket and Cruise with his single button peak lapel suit.

I personally wouldn't go fo a single button suit (other than a dinner suit) but I am planning on having a SB2 with peak lapels made at some point, hopefully later this year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
According to Esquire magazine some companies (ie. Z Zegna) will be pushing one button suits this year as a trim fitting, more contemporary option to traditional two and three button suits.
Well...okay. I suppose I just have a strong preference for the classic 2-button style, and don't understand why designers are so quick to change the number of buttons. It seems like making a jacket 1-button, or 3-, or 5-, is a cheap cop-out way to make a suit scream "contemporary!" (yes, I think 3-button suits do not look classic). Subtlety is more my bag; there are plenty of ways to modernize or update suits such as shoulder construction, lapel width, waist, gorge height, etc - even button stance. Just keep the 2 buttons! Of course, tuxedo jackets/dinner jackets are typically just 1 button.

/not usually such a traditionalist :rolleyes:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well...okay. I suppose I just have a strong preference for the classic 2-button style, and don't understand why designers are so quick to change the number of buttons. It seems like making a jacket 1-button, or 3-, or 5-, is a cheap cop-out way to make a suit scream "contemporary!" (yes, I think 3-button suits do not look classic). Subtlety is more my bag; there are plenty of ways to modernize or update suits such as shoulder construction, lapel width, waist, gorge height, etc - even button stance. Just keep the 2 buttons! Of course, tuxedo jackets/dinner jackets are typically just 1 button.

/not usually such a traditionalist :rolleyes:
They change things to make people buy more! (If you are bothered about being "in fashion").

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.