Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I made an anology. As a matter of course, you are the OP. Whilst I have partaken in the occasional martini, I can recollect who the original OP was.
Read analogy, sneakers???? I know you did not explicitaly mention sneakers, I did . Ever witnessed tumbleweed blowing in the wind? Oh yeah, I have.

"Your ORIGINAL POST" was a convuluted mish mash of dress as you to what you think of dressing in a hybrid manner to fit in might be.
You want to fit in, dress as you please. I mean, fit in to a particular group. I don't have a problem with that, just don't assume we will all fall in line.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could've been. I'm not changing multiple times per day; typically, I get dressed for the focal activity of the day. Sometimes changing clothing is unavoidable - a casual evening out on a work day means a change in attire, agreed? I'm not going out for pizza in a business suit! If I'm running errands in the morning on a rainy day, I'm going to wear something a bit better for an evening with friends. If I'm home all day lounging, I will wear something different if my wife and I go out - anywhere. Make sense?

You wrote, "I'd rather not have to change clothes between work, home, errands, dinner etc." - that appears to mean that you're essentially wearing the same thing for most events in a typical day. In my view, that will invariably lead to you being either overdressed or underdressed, depending on which part of the day's activities you're doing. One size fits all usually doesn't.

I don't keep "mental categories" at all, nor do I "over-think clothes." I simply try to dress in an appropriate manner for whatever it is I'm engaged in. Isn't that a basic thing to do? I don't wear sport coats and ties at barbecues, nor do I wear boat shoes and rolled up OCBDs for business wear. Avoid extremes, and simply dress appropriately for the activity. I think the trick is knowing what constitutes "dressing appropriately." At one time, sites such as AAAC was a resource for that. I hope it will remain so, and not become a place of compromise and synthesis to the point where little matters.

P.S. - Anyone remember Cruiser?
Clearly put. Contextual dressing is still relevant. The difficulty is figuring out what that means in today's era and our own individual lifestyles. For example, the business suit and tie is extinct in all my social circles. They're strictly wedding/interview/funeral tools. Fortunately, I found blazers and sports coats useful at my internship. I wore them traditionally, and also with fatigue pants.

This quote I found on a blog has resonated with me, despite being the polar opposite of contextual dressing. I mention this because I don't think I'm the only one who makes up reasons to wear tailoring. I wore an olive linen suit the other day to eat pizza and play some board games with friends. Not appropriate in a traditional sense, but I sure enjoyed doing it.

"[When my yoga teacher] was younger, his mom was very conscious of what she wore and how everything had its time and place. Even the china set. She would never bring them out unless it was for a very special dinner. However, when he was about 14, his mom got cancer and was very close to passing away. She recovered, but he distinctly remembers the day that she embraced the idea of FUCK IT. She put on her most beautiful dress and busted out the china, and they ate meatloaf on a regular Tuesday. At that point, he realized that she started to live. Like really live. So he always wears designer whatever the fuck he wants, whenever the fuck he wants. Since he told me that story, I’ve sort of adopted that. I used to try to dress like everyone else. Like at my niece’s bday. Shorts and a nice top. This year I plan on wearing a beautiful dress because fuck it. I wanna do it. I will be the best-looking motherfucker at that damn pool party anyone has ever seen! "

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I made an anology. As a matter of course, you are the OP. Whilst I have partaken in the occasional martini, I can recollect who the original OP was.
Read analogy, sneakers???? I know you did not explicitaly mention sneakers, I did . Ever witnessed tumbleweed blowing in the wind? Oh yeah, I have.

"Your ORIGINAL POST" was a convuluted mish mash of dress as you to what you think of dressing in a hybrid manner to fit in might be.
You want to fit in, dress as you please. I mean, fit in to a particular group. I don't have a problem with that, just don't assume we will all fall in line.
Clearly put. Contextual dressing is still relevant. The difficulty is figuring out what that means in today's era and our own individual lifestyles. For example, the business suit and tie is extinct in all my social circles. They're strictly wedding/interview/funeral tools. Fortunately, I found blazers and sports coats useful at my internship. I wore them traditionally, and also with fatigue pants.

This quote I found on a blog has resonated with me, despite being the polar opposite of contextual dressing. I mention this because I don't think I'm the only one who makes up reasons to wear tailoring. I wore an olive linen suit the other day to eat pizza and play some board games with friends. Not appropriate in a traditional sense, but I sure enjoyed doing it.

"[When my yoga teacher] was younger, his mom was very conscious of what she wore and how everything had its time and place. Even the china set. She would never bring them out unless it was for a very special dinner. However, when he was about 14, his mom got cancer and was very close to passing away. She recovered, but he distinctly remembers the day that she embraced the idea of FUCK IT. She put on her most beautiful dress and busted out the china, and they ate meatloaf on a regular Tuesday. At that point, he realized that she started to live. Like really live. So he always wears designer whatever the fuck he wants, whenever the fuck he wants. Since he told me that story, I’ve sort of adopted that. I used to try to dress like everyone else. Like at my niece’s bday. Shorts and a nice top. This year I plan on wearing a beautiful dress because fuck it. I wanna do it. I will be the best-looking motherfucker at that damn pool party anyone has ever seen! "
Yeah, that's the ticket.How many times has the term "Fuck" been used in this thread? Really? This it what the exchange of ideas pertaining to dress as evolved to?

Just shows to go you.. How many actually know that the term means, "THE FORNICATED USE OF CARNAL KNOWLEDGE." FUCK..
But just bandyed about perhaps by the the more elite of us. Elitist?
To add , my son was diagnosed with a malignant tumor in his eye, possiblity of it traveling to his liver as exsperirnce had shown, this conclusion often to be the case by the preeminent eye surgeon
at the time, I won't mention his name. He removed the eye and because we caught it in time, he is now free of malignantcy, 20 + years .
Don't preach to me. don't hand me some bullshit prose.
This is a forum about clothes, unles you snowflakes forgot.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Wonderful quote. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Geez, why has my message removed ? Would it be because my post offndends ,a,certain group?
The trughth police ? I'm here aout clothes when some want to bring politicts after the facts to suit thier nede
Sorry, I thought you asked if the websites were safe. I read nowhere about your concern about sizing.
I believe you received two polite responses, I'll stand by my response and agree with the eye roll emoji response.
Thank you for your very kind words, EclecticSr.!
[/QUOTE
I guess you hadn;t read my post about eye cancer as was the prognasis about about my son's cancer have you?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

Hard to disagree with the sentiments (if not the phraseology) of the quote above. Many have experienced this epiphany - "Stop saving the good stuff; use it before it's too late!" - and I agree with it. Yet, I think this contradicts what the OP (TimF) was trying to accomplish. He was looking for ways to insert more casual/street wear into traditional (I know, not the same as "trad") clothing, and the quote (definitely) and your comments (somewhat) lean in the opposite direction.

Social circles differ. I recently retired from a private school where jacket and tie were required, and many corporations still expect employees to dress well. Certainly not the way it was twenty years ago, but also not a streetwear fest, either. There's an enormous middle ground in there!

I trust my instincts. At a recent charity fundraiser, I wore a suit and tie; I was not out of place. At dinner last week, I wore cords, a Viyella shirt and dressier boots; the only people who would've thought that was overkill might be the three obese guys sitting nearby who were in their sixties, and were wearing combinations of cargo shorts, stretched out t-shirts, sloppy sweatpants and sneakers. No need to worry about their opinions, if they even exist. At a recent school musical, I again wore cords and a nice button down collar shirt with casual boots. I was better dressed than most, if only because so many people there were wearing ill-fitting jeans, sweatshirts or sports jerseys, and sneakers. Didn't make me uncomfortable in the least, as I was confident that I was dressed appropriately for the occasion.

But here's the difference: I would not dress the way I described above if I were going to a ball game, running errands, or cleaning out the garage/sweeping leaves. Unfortunately, many people who typically wear jeans, sneakers, sweatpants et al. wear that stuff for everything - dinner with their wives, ball games, social gatherings or washing their cars. I will never acquiesce to that standard, assuming it is any sort of standard at all.

Hope this isn't viewed as being confrontational; not my intention at all!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hybrid dressing takes skill, but knowing silhouettes and having coherence is a starting point.

A lot of this is only trad inspired and borderline streetwear, but that works for me.

J. Press' x Todd Snyder is a good example.

I also dig what Kanye did years ago, it feels relevant today. Polo coats are great for dressing up or down, the hoodie helps take up visual space, and both have a consistent slouch factor.

For sneakers, I personally stick to the German Army Trainer (GAT). It's one of few sneakers that looks better the more it gets beat up. Others here might like it as well

Most of that was OK. But, the photo of the fellow who tucked his pants legs into white gym socks looked ridiculous.:)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it. I do hope tailoring hits another renaissance with younger generations and lives on.

Mad men was the last cultural movement that made all of this cool and appealing.
Hard to disagree with the sentiments (if not the phraseology) of the quote above. Many have experienced this epiphany - "Stop saving the good stuff; use it before it's too late!" - and I agree with it. Yet, I think this contradicts what the OP (TimF) was trying to accomplish. He was looking for ways to insert more casual/street wear into traditional (I know, not the same as "trad") clothing, and the quote (definitely) and your comments (somewhat) lean in the opposite direction.

Social circles differ. I recently retired from a private school where jacket and tie were required, and many corporations still expect employees to dress well. Certainly not the way it was twenty years ago, but also not a streetwear fest, either. There's an enormous middle ground in there!

I trust my instincts. At a recent charity fundraiser, I wore a suit and tie; I was not out of place. At dinner last week, I wore cords, a Viyella shirt and dressier boots; the only people who would've thought that was overkill might be the three obese guys sitting nearby who were in their sixties, and were wearing combinations of cargo shorts, stretched out t-shirts, sloppy sweatpants and sneakers. No need to worry about their opinions, if they even exist. At a recent school musical, I again wore cords and a nice button down collar shirt with casual boots. I was better dressed than most, if only because so many people there were wearing ill-fitting jeans, sweatshirts or sports jerseys, and sneakers. Didn't make me uncomfortable in the least, as I was confident that I was dressed appropriately for the occasion.

But here's the difference: I would not dress the way I described above if I were going to a ball game, running errands, or cleaning out the garage/sweeping leaves. Unfortunately, many people who typically wear jeans, sneakers, sweatpants et al. wear that stuff for everything - dinner with their wives, ball games, social gatherings or washing their cars. I will never acquiesce to that standard, assuming it is any sort of standard at all.

Hope this isn't viewed as being confrontational; not my intention at all!
No worries man, not a confrontational word in this post.

I agree that my quote and comments contradicted what the OP was looking for. I did try to meet the initial premise of the thread with my pictures of "Rugged Ivy" and "Casual American Look", but it didn't stimulate as much discussion as I would have liked. It didn't help that Instagram no longer embeds here for some reason. (@Andy Can you please help with this?)

I then went the opposite route to play devil's advocate, but it may be better for a different thread rather than this one.

I'll try again to fit the theme of "High-Low". I didn't know @oxford cloth button down still posted here occasionally, so I can just embed from those posts. I feel like he nails the spirit of Trad, high-low dressing, and still manages to avoid falling into the bland sphere of business casual.

Reading your "going out" situations, it sounds like you were appropriately dressed in all the circumstances.

I think we are on the same page for contextual dressing, feel free to correct if we're not.

For me, it goes further; it ties into a healthy mindstate. A couple years ago, I wore pyjama shorts and a t-shirt for 3 months straight. Mentally, I felt horrible.

Once school started, I made sure to wear either chinos/cords + OCBD/chambray shirt every morning for Zoom lectures, and I always felt better because I was dressing with intention.
Most of that was OK. But, the photo of the fellow who tucked his pants legs into white gym socks looked ridiculous.:)
I agree, that's not for me.

If he swapped the bit loafers for penny loafers, untucked the pants, it'd be a much better look.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it. I do hope tailoring hits another renaissance with younger generations and lives on.

Mad men was the last cultural movement that made all of this cool and appealing.
No worries man, not a confrontational word in this post.

I agree that my quote and comments contradicted what the OP was looking for. I did try to meet the initial premise of the thread with my pictures of "Rugged Ivy" and "Casual American Look", but it didn't stimulate as much discussion as I would have liked. It didn't help that Instagram no longer embeds here for some reason. (@Andy Can you please help with this?)

I then went the opposite route to play devil's advocate, but it may be better for a different thread rather than this one.

I'll try again to fit the theme of "High-Low". I didn't know @oxford cloth button down still posted here occasionally, so I can just embed from those posts. I feel like he nails the spirit of Trad, high-low dressing, and still manages to avoid falling into the bland sphere of business casual.

Reading your "going out" situations, it sounds like you were appropriately dressed in all the circumstances.

I think we are on the same page for contextual dressing, feel free to correct if we're not.

For me, it goes further; it ties into a healthy mindstate. A couple years ago, I wore pyjama shorts and a t-shirt for 3 months straight. Mentally, I felt horrible.

Once school started, I made sure to wear either chinos/cords + OCBD/chambray shirt every morning for Zoom lectures, and I always felt better because I was dressing with intention.

I agree, that's not for me.

If he swapped the bit loafers for penny loafers, untucked the pants, it'd be a much better look.
We are definitely in alignment on just about everything you wrote!

I often dress in a similar manner to Oxford Cloth Button Down when I'm casual. The big exception for me is that I don't wear sneakers (other than for walks or sports) - don't like how they look with chinos and cords, and they seem far more at home with athletic wear than anything. Swap out OCBD's sneakers and insert suede chukkas or loafers, and I'm all in!

P.S. - Sorry to hear about your unhappy state from a couple of years ago, and EclecticSr.'s son's eye issue. Clothing differences shrink in importance when compared to actual problems...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
We are definitely in alignment on just about everything you wrote!

I often dress in a similar manner to Oxford Cloth Button Down when I'm casual. The big exception for me is that I don't wear sneakers (other than for walks or sports) - don't like how they look with chinos and cords, and they seem far more at home with athletic wear than anything. Swap out OCBD's sneakers and insert suede chukkas or loafers, and I'm all in!

P.S. - Sorry to hear about your unhappy state from a couple of years ago, and EclecticSr.'s son's eye issue. Clothing differences shrink in importance when compared to actual problems...
Thanks Tiger. Unfortunately too true about actual problems. Clothing can be a fun escape, but escapism can only take you so far. Fortunately I'm better off these days. I hope EclecticSr's son's malignancy doesn't come back either.

Sneakers do seem to be the most divisive option for most of us, but that's fine. Can't agree on everything. I agree that suede chukkas and loafers would great in most of those outfits.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
In response to post #19 above, I remember Cruiser and miss his postings. Nuff said. ;)
I liked him and miss his posts as well. However, I remember that he was often criticized (vilified?) by the AAAC masses for not adhering to any particular standard, for a "wear what you like, it really doesn't matter" mentality. Back then, he was a bit of an AAAC pariah; now he would be quite mainstream!

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,800 Posts
I liked him and miss his posts as well. However, I remember that he was often criticized (vilified?) by the AAAC masses for not adhering to any particular standard, for a "wear what you like, it really doesn't matter" mentality. Back then, he was a bit of an AAAC pariah; now he would be quite mainstream!
Indeed, Cruiser was perhaps a man ahead of his time.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts