Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ClermontDirect.com pictures a white tie ensemble that has the vest showing by what looks like about an inch:

https://www.clermontdirect.com/polywool-white-tailcoat-trousers-p-189.html

My preference would be not to show any vest below the coat. The pictures that accompany the Formalwear discussion on the EOMC all have no vest showing, but I didn't notice any advice regarding this.

What's your preference and why?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
In that picture, the model is showing vest, but not showing shirt cuff. I think they got it backwards.

·
Registered
299 Posts
ClermontDirect.com pictures a white tie ensemble that has the vest showing by what looks like about an inch:

https://www.clermontdirect.com/polywool-white-tailcoat-trousers-p-189.html

My preference would be not to show any vest below the coat. The pictures that accompany the Formalwear discussion on the EOMC all have no vest showing, but I didn't notice any advice regarding this.

What's your preference and why?
+1 for no vest showing. The trick in achieving this is primarily for the trousers to have a very long rise, and for the waistcoat to be relatively short. It appears to be commonplace for white tie outfits made for rental places to have the trousers cut in a relatively low contemporary style. This results in it being virtually impossible to prevent the vest from showing. I would guess that Clermont will do the same unless you specifically ask them for a very high rise trousers. My own which date from the 1930 have a rise of about 12". This is a bit excessive, I admit, (the top of the trousers lies about 4" above my navel) but there is no danger of the vest showing below the sides of the coat.

Adagio

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops!

From The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes, Formalwear Chapter:
Care should be taken when wearing the tailcoat and vest that the points of the vest be shorter than the front points of the jacket.
Missed that in my first, rather hurried, reading of the EOMC "Formalwear" page. I was being called to dinner.

Interestingly, though, the H. J. Nicoll fashion plate on that page shows the vest points extending below the tailcoat points. That appears to confirm Sator's dictum: "The rule is that the waistcoat should be 1/2" shorter than the dress coat front." That is, if the 1/2" is measured above the tailcoat's front edge to the vest's front edge where it runs along the tailcoat's front edge, and not at the points. That's basically where I wear mine, too.

This is something that anyone having a vest built needs to be aware of, as the tailor must ensure that happens. Wearing a backless, adjustable vest is not so much of a problem, except to make sure to check it out in the mirror with both garments on while making the adjustment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.