Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a TM Lewin slim-fit shirt. It's a 15.5 neck, and I had them alter the sleeves to 35. The fit is great for the most part, but here's where I need help. At times, the sleeves feel a bit short. If I am standing with my arms at my sides, the shirt is fine. But when I am driving or moving very much, the sleeves seem to ride up a bit and feel a tad short. I believe this has to do with my back and shoulders more than anything. I am ordering some more shirts and want to make sure I get the size right. I think a 35.5 sleeve would do better, but I am worried that it might have too much material when in a relaxed position, or just be too long in general. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
If they feel too short when you are doing normal daily activities, they are too short.

Sleeve shortening is a simple alteration; my local tailor charges $15 per shirt.

Best approach, if in doubt, is to order the sleeves erring on the long side, wash and wear a few times so normal shrinkage can occur, and then get alteration done if necessary.

You can always take a longish sleeve up, but most often you cannot lengthen a sleeve that's too short.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
you are going have to decide what it is you want. moving or standing sleeves. you always need more sleeve length when moving.
try this once, on a shirt with sleeves that are long enough for driving.
move the buttons on the cuff just tight enough to keep the cuff in the correct position.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
How does this affect collars? The shirt's 15.5 collar is pretty much spot on. Will it shrink at all? I wash my shirts on cold and air dry.
You are right to use cold water and avoid the dryer.

Some collar shrinkage is normal, and shirtmakers usually leave a "laundry allowance" of several fractions of an inch in the actual collar measurement to compensate for it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Like others have said, it's a compromise between moving and standing still sleeves. I get my sleeves a touch on the long side, but I make sure the cuffs are tight enough that they always end at the right length on my arm. With a little extra length built into the sleeve, I can move around and not have the sleeves ride up like they would if they were cut to fit perfect when straight. Sure they look a touch baggy when I'm standing still, but it is very rare that I am standing still with no suit jacket on. Most often I have my arms bent at my desk or I am moving around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.