Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My watch tip for today is my current favourite Sekonda...It's an automatic...and check out the price...I might well be buying this in the not too distant future. I've always had a soft spot for these originally Russian made British watches. They have a bit of a cult following in the UK. Owning a Sekonda for a Brit is a bit like wearing a pair of classic Pumas or Golas. :icon_smile:

https://www.sekonda.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=Range.view&ID=1&SubCat=19&ModelID=161

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to agree about Sekondas, the are solid and reliable watches that really look the part.

Though I have to admit I've recently taken a fancy to Tissot watches. I got a PRS 200 on my honeymoon tax free and it's an amazing watch. The build quality is up there with the best of them and rumour has it that they use the same mechanisms as their more expensive sibling Omega.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have to agree about Sekondas, the are solid and reliable watches that really look the part.

Though I have to admit I've recently taken a fancy to Tissot watches. I got a PRS 200 on my honeymoon tax free and it's an amazing watch. The build quality is up there with the best of them and rumour has it that they use the same mechanisms as their more expensive sibling Omega.
They are owned by the same conglomerate that owns Omega. They both use ETA movements, so you're correct. I believe Omega modifies some of the ETA movements, but still its a great movement and Tissot are indeed nice watches.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Those are some good looking watches, and the prices are great. Where are they made now?
Good morning Dr.

Here are some historical details about Sekonda.
https://www.watchshopuk.com/2007/11/sekonda-watches-including-seksy-and.html

However, they still don't answer the question. And it is a question I have long tried to answer myself. So I can only assume, until I find evidence to the contrary, that the movements are still made in Russia.
Something the article does say is that the "One" range (which was made in both Russia and the UK) is now only made in the UK.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
EoO,

I hope this thread means you'll be providing us with a new tip everyday.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
EoO,

I hope this thread means you'll be providing us with a new tip everyday.
Indeed, that was partly my intention, but also for others to contribute with tips about their favourite "affordable & attractive" watches. And not to be afriad to voice such an opinion and not to get hung up on this watch snobbery that seems to prevail at times, both here and elsewhere.

My view on watches is very simple -if you like the look and feel of it, then buy it and use it, regardless of brand name, price, colour of case and strap,functions and country of origin.

On many fashion forums, this one included, there is at times too much focus on the top-end, ultra-expensive brands. Presumably because it is believed the more expensive a watch is the better it is and therefore more desirable and more fashionable.....Aboslute tosh & nonsense!

Don't be guided/fooled by what's in or fashionable and certainly don't be guided/fooled by the ultra-expensive names.

But you know, if a person likes the look and feel and signals that vulgar, gaudy Rolexes, Breitlings and Cartiers send out then that's their business not mine :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
^ I like the idea.

Here's amy daily watch choice. It's an automatic Seiko 5 series I got off the Bay. I think I paid a little under $60 and most of the cost was shipping (from Hong Kong). I don't know if it's knockoff or what. My only complaint is that the automatic movements get caught up every now and then and I have to shake it back into working. In the picture its on a blue/gray band from Central.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi again, your Seiko 5 reminds me of the first Timex I ever had, when I was about 12. And in fact looks a little bit like the current Timex Perpetual Calendar, which is also a fav of mine.

Here's a picture of it. And so it is today's tip for an attractive, affordable and interesting watch:

https://www.timex.co.uk/product_description.aspx?pid=33&id=45

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Go Timex! My favourite every day watch, the wearing I am wearing now, is a timex that I got for $1.79 plus $6 postage. It looks great with a central strap (hardly matters which one, though I am at present wearing #5 as shown below). If that watched hadn't worked out I would have kept on wearing my second favourite--a Timex I bought new for $17 (from the same source). I have a $2100 Swiss watch that I have never worn: why would I when the Timex is everything I associate with tradliness?

Did you notice that the favoured time-piece of today's youth is Nokia? What hope for the future?

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
Registered
384 Posts
To Hudson,

"But their is hope for the future. When the world is ready, for a new and better life, all this, will someday come to pass. In God's good time."

-James Mason as Captain Nemo in the greatest film of all time.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To Hudson,

"But their is hope for the future. When the world is ready, for a new and better life, all this, will someday come to pass. In God's good time."

-James Mason as Captain Nemo in the greatest film of all time.
:icon_smile: Indeed! A light powered watch is one thing, however I'm still waiting for the flying car all those 50s and 60s science mags promised me I'd be driving/flying by 1999.:icon_smile:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.