Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as the size of the Tiffany Sterling buckle and size belts it takes (i.e., is the buckle 1", 1 1/8", etc?). I've performed a search and can't find that specific size question.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Ben Silver buckle and it's size. Good quality?

I've narrowed my selection to these. I admire the Tiffany quality, but don't want something that looks terribly thin.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I thrifted a Tiffany buckle a couple of weeks ago (and just took it in to Tiffany to be polished as a way to authenticate it; Tiffany won't authenticate their pieces, but also won't do any minor upkeep or repairs on anything that isn't theirs... :icon_smile_wink:), so I'm delighted to help here!

The buckle I have takes a 1" belt, and I believe that this is true of their current buckles, also. Prior to inheriting a Brooks which also takes 1" belts I thought this would be too thin (I'm 6'4", and 190lbs), but it looks absolutely fine.

I don't have experience with the BS buckles, but I will say that of the two I prefer the Brooks, as it's slightly heavier--although the engine turning on the front isn't as fine. Of course, since I paid only $2 for the Tiffany buckle, I'm *very* happy with it! :icon_smile_big:

You also might like to look at BD Jeffries if you haven't already, whose buckles are, I think slightly heavier than Brooks. Although, of course, the differences here are small, given the size of these buckles!

·
Registered
282 Posts
May I suggest Trafalgar as a cheaper option? I know they can be ordered from Eljo's in Charlottesville for around $45 (silver or gold plated), and they look great. They have both sizes, but I second TweedyDon on the 1" choice. I find the 1" straps more common in general (Brooks, e.g.), but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Tiffany buckle takes a 1 inch strap.

The Ben Silver buckle is advertised as taking a 1.25" strap, but it doesn't. It takes a strap that is slightly smaller than that, perhaps 1 3/16". It's a nice buckle, but it's not what they claim it is and their salesforce is chock full of arrogant asses.

I chose to have . make me a strap from European Calf. All their belts are made to order and they agreed to make one that would fit my Ben Silver buckle as close as possible. I can only speak to the level of customer service thus far (they're working on my order) but to this point I would recommend them without reservation.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Great 'blog post tintin==I think you have a new reader!

I'd advise avoiding the eBay Tiffany route, though--apparently there are a lot of Tiffany fakes on there. :(

Now, risking $2 in a thrift store on a possible-Tiffany buckle is another thing entirely...! :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Santa gave me a Tiffany model this Christmas, along with a couple of Trafalger straps. I love the belt buckle, but feel like the 1" straps are a bit too narrow. 1" is the maximum that will fit the buckle connection, but the tunnel of the buckle would accept maybe 1-1/8". I'd like to get a 1-1/8" strap with a narrowed down (1") connection end. Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I suppose a decent cobbler could do this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
On the buckles:

How about the sterling one from BB? I got one 8 years ago and it is just great.

This winter I misplaced it temporarily and purchased on recession sale a private label engine turned sterling one for a song (out of stock now). It is equally nice.

On the straps: I have only purchased them from BB. I figured the width was standard.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When do you tell the truth?

On buying the buckles for another:

This weekend my mother's friend gave her a ring and wanted her advice. The friend was considering purchasing a belt for her future son-in-law. My mother suggested an engine turned sterling buckle in lieu of the Italian designer belt her friend wanted to buy him.

Her friend (an heiress) then called my mom from Brooks Brothers with the following question, "should I get him the gold-plated one or the sterling?" Note: the finacee sounds like a jerk.

My mother, of course, said the sterling, but imagine if she wasn't nice. That would have been some gold buckle!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
My mother suggested an engine turned sterling buckle in lieu of the Italian designer belt her friend wanted to buy him.
I've been very pleased with the Zegna belts I own, but I also have a reversible Bally that I won't wear - the center of the buckle has a clamp to attach to the leather, and any amount of activity while wearing it cause it to unclamp, leaving this heavy buckle swinging in front of you like a surreal elephant trunk...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.