Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In terms of understanding fashion and items that match, I'm a novice. I just started "worrying" about my wardrobe recently and this forum has been great. For my suit, I originally just had two white and one light blue dress shirts, but I recently bought the following shirt:

(Please spare the comments on the quality of the shirt - I'm a broke college kid, and it's hard enough to find slim-fit shirts offered in 15 34/35!)

First, is this shirt okay to wear with a charcoal suit? I assume it is since it's primarily light blue and not too busy, but some reassuring is always good.

Second, what are some ties that would match this shirt? I'm working on expanding my tie collection, so in addition to just descriptions, links to specific ties would also be welcome as I'll likely be making some purchases (and if they're too expensive, at least I'll have a visual idea of what works).

I appreciate any suggestions!

· Registered
637 Posts
Yes you can wear it with a grey suit of any shade.

It's pretty plain so any plain tie of contrasting colour (not blue). Maroon, red, silver. Or any large spot. Or a big pattern - not small because the stripes are relatively close together and thin. Patterns should contrast. Great first choice.

· Registered
953 Posts
OF COURSE you can wear it with a charcoal suit. I can't think of a single color or patters you couldn't wear with a charcoal suit.

It's pretty plain so any plain tie of contrasting colour (not blue). Maroon, red, silver. Or any large spot. Or a big pattern - not small because the stripes are relatively close together and thin. Patterns should contrast. Great first choice.
Actually I think any plain tie will likely work on this shirt, including blue (esp. navy).

The stripes are subtle enough you'd be hard pressed to find a tie that didn't work. Perhaps, as Simon suggests, a stripped tie of about the same scale would be less than ideal, but really almost anything will look just fine.

· Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
You made a really good, versatile shirt purchase. You can definitely wear it with a charcoal suit, and almost any blue, red, maroon or grey tie would go with it nicely. (There are probably other colors, too.)

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Thank you for all of the positive comments! They have been very reassuring, and the suggestions very useful.

Any recommendations for inexpensive solid-color ties online?
Remember what Will from A suitable Wardrobe says; Blue with gray and Gray with Blue. I would wear a Blue tie with some sort of print in either red, maroon, light blue or gray.

virtualclotheshorse.com is a good site for nice ties. Sam hober has a site, foreinhand has a site for ties. google ties and you will find many.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
I would also like to add that, you don't want 15 34/45 shirts for future reference. Find out your exact sleeve length.

A source for inexpensive shirts are Paul Fredrick, and you can frequently get shirts at JAB for $29 on clearance.

For ties, try the same two sources.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.