Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
David Cameron is often seen in a suit without a tie - it's not only Labour who affect this look.
Sports jacket, blazer and suit all look dreadful with open-necked shirts. But it's not a matter of party politics. Be fair!

·
Registered
788 Posts
dya think the politicians are abandoning the tie to look less formal and more folksy ?? i bet some image consultant advised that a tie-less presentation would apeal more to the dressed down electorate.

expect shirt hanging out the trousers to pop up any time soon.

·
Registered
456 Posts
english_gent is exactly right - it's all about appealing to the masses now. People are apologetic about having been public school.

The tieless thing is bad, but worse was William Hague's baseball cap experiment. That got hit on the head pretty quickly, fortunately.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Since the French Revolution threw out court dress, people have been forced to label some garment or other as some symbol of Oppression. The gaudy excesses of the aristocracy were understandably the subject of criticism but I really do wonder if the whole trend that started of trying to dress down as much as possible as though you still risked losing your head to the guillotine really is necessary today.

This line of thinking is further reflected in this Soviet cartoon:

Lenin is sweeping away those Capitalists in court dress and morning dress. In late Victorian times the black coat and top hat had became like the lounge suit in the mid-20th century, worn by professionals and small time shopkeepers alike - a very egalitarian uniform. Black was after all meant to be a democractic colour. Yet each generation found the dress of the former one too monstrously formal for everyday wear - the frock coat, the morning coat, and now increasingly the lounge coat.

Take a look at Lenin dressed in a lounge suit, chesterfield overcoat and tie:

Today he might be considered to be dressed like those the previous cartoon depicts him sweeping away. I just wonder where this is going to stop. Soon we will be forced to walk around naked in order to be considered one of 'the people'.

Whatever happened to the good old dandy Left Wingers who knew how to dress. Thomas Mann:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sadly, this trend is to be expected in a country where it is expected that the name Mohammed will be the most popular name for baby boys by the end of the year.

From Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Hosseini Khamenei, himself:

Q1370. What is the view on wearing a necktie?
A: Generally speaking, it is not permissible to wear a tie, or other kinds of
clothes that are considered as the attire of non-Muslims, in such a way that
their wearing will promote vile Western culture. The ruling is not confined to
people of the Islamic Republic.

https://www.islam-pure.de/imam/books/ajvab.pdf

·
Registered
100 Posts
In fact in my experience ethnic minorities take their formal clothing far more seriously than "native brits". Just take a walk though Brixton on a Sunday to see some of the glorious outfits worn to church.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Today he might be considered to be dressed like those the previous cartoon depicts him sweeping away. I just wonder where this is going to stop. Soon we will be forced to walk around naked in order to be considered one of 'the people'.
This is what Mao called continuous revolution. As soon you rise to the top, you get swept away by a new wave of rebels.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sadly, this trend is to be expected in a country where it is expected that the name Mohammed will be the most popular name for baby boys by the end of the year.

From Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Hosseini Khamenei, himself:

Q1370. What is the view on wearing a necktie?
A: Generally speaking, it is not permissible to wear a tie, or other kinds of
clothes that are considered as the attire of non-Muslims, in such a way that
their wearing will promote vile Western culture. The ruling is not confined to
people of the Islamic Republic.
One more reason to wear a tie!!

Um, that's a bit of a non sequitur and actually mildly offensive.

I don't think politicians don't wear ties because they're muslim / because they're trying to impress muslims.
No, but fundamentalist muslim politicians wear ties, even though they dispapprove of them, as part of the fundamentalist muslim strategy of deliberate deception as a means to power.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just wonder where this is going to stop. Soon we will be forced to walk around naked in order to be considered one of 'the people'.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if once the continually declining standard of dress hits rock bottom that the trend began to reverse itself? I.e. instead of each generation viewing their predecessors' attire as a symbol of oppression they began seeing it as a symbol of mediocrity and did their best to one-up it?

Assuming, of course, that people stop would considering mediocrity to be a desirable trait.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Assuming, of course, that people stop would considering mediocrity to be a desirable trait.
That is going to take a renewed self confidence in the moral value of European culture. But European civilization set itself up for this, French Revolution and all.

Ironically, culture may survive most along the copycat periphery and then be revived in the center. Like the Japanese men you see taking, still taking, what to most Europeans is, a perversely outdated interest in morning coats. Or dressing well to work.

·
Registered
523 Posts
dya think the politicians are abandoning the tie to look less formal and more folksy ?? i bet some image consultant advised that a tie-less presentation would apeal more to the dressed down electorate.

expect shirt hanging out the trousers to pop up any time soon.
This formed part of the plot of the very funny political satire 'The Thick of It'. A conservative MP was told to get rid of his tie by an image consultant and to wear a Paul Smith shirt untucked, because his suit and tie had a 1980s 'Sink the Belgrano vibe' about them....:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.