Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are ties that have a 3 inch width acceptable for work (conservative, but not overly so)? I ask because I think they look better on my thinner frame, but would rather not wear them if they are viewed in the same light as really thin ties. Thanks for the advice.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Definitely don't go under three inches. I'm a fan of the skinnies, but it seems like unless you're in a creative field they're generally not acceptable.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
3 inches is one of the classic widths, but I think it looks best on the thinner man.

Also, it is best as well to make sure that the other visual elements that frame the tie are scaled to it: A thin tie worn with wide lapels and a large-scaled collar can look lost.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "tie".

As discussed in a recent thread, knitted ties are frequently narrower than 3 inches and rarely as wide as that. Straight ties 3 inches wide look a bit odd to me and would have to be narrower. So don't take this 3 inch minimum too strictly. There is, however, a limit; not even I would wear a bootlace tie to work.

I would trust your judgement rather than a ruler. If conforming matters to you then look at what your peers wear and avoid garish colours and patterns.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "tie".

As discussed in a recent thread, knitted ties are frequently narrower than 3 inches and rarely as wide as that. Straight ties 3 inches wide look a bit odd to me and would have to be narrower. So don't take this 3 inch minimum too strictly. There is, however, a limit; not even I would wear a bootlace tie to work.

I would trust your judgement rather than a ruler. If conforming matters to you then look at what your peers wear and avoid garish colours and patterns.
I took it as given that the OP was asking about standard delta-tipped ties, not square-end knits. But since they've come up . . . .

With regard to those latter ties, I find that anything narrower than 2.5" indeed looks too much like a bootlace, but anything wider than 3" looks too bulky and wide (and even 3" may be pushing it, I agree). So IMO the tasteful widths for square knits run in a narrower range (only a half-inch at most) than do the tasteful widths for standard ties.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Are ties that have a 3 inch width acceptable for work (conservative, but not overly so)? I ask because I think they look better on my thinner frame, but would rather not wear them if they are viewed in the same light as really thin ties. Thanks for the advice.
I believe it's dependent on the wearer's physical size. On some people 3" might look wide. On others it looks like a shoe lace. I wouldn't let anyone tell me there's a magic size you should or shouldn't wear. They don't know what you look like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.