Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
You'll find that this board is pretty divided on the subject of tie bars. Many, including Andy himself, seem dead-set against them. Others enjoy them. Personally speaking, I fall somewhere in the middle of both camps. I own several tie bars and I will wear them on occasion. But since I'm fairly young, wearing them definitely brands me an eccentric.

Now, I don't mind a little sartorial eccentricity if tastefully done. But your mileage may vary. One thing you'll definitely want to avoid is looking like you're trying too hard. A three-piece suit with a tie bar might look too "put-together" and overly studied if worn to the wrong occasion. You might also get accused of Mad Men-esque trendiness.

I guess the lesson I'm scrambling for here is this: make sure you're the kind of person who can pull off the look. It may take some trial and error to find this out. Are you the sort of person who will get compliments on a tie bar, or the sort of person who will get politely teased about a tie bar? It depends on a variety of intangible qualities about you as the wearer of the tie bar, but the most tangible quality is probably your age. If you're too old for a tie bar, you'll look too stodgy. If you're too young for a tie bar, you'll look too precious. You want to be in the sweet spot, and unfortunately, that sweet spot is a little nebulous.

Are tie bars "correct" with three-piece suits? Sure. No more or less correct than they are with two-piece suits. But again, because you're wearing a three-piece suit in this age of the two piece, you'll already be calling some attention to yourself (and hopefully in a good way). Adding more details on top of the that, such as the tie bar, is walking a fine line between smartly attired and too-cutely attired.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I tend to think not. The point of the tie bar is to keep a tie from flapping around. Well, ties don't flap around beneath a waistcoat/vest. I think this is the tie equivalent of wearing suspenders and a belt. Given that most men wear the tie equivalent of beltless pants (i.e., a tie with niether vest nor tie bar), the doubling up would be quite noticeable. JMHO, of course.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of tie bars. Especially stay away from pins that WILL damage your fine silk ties!

There is one exception: Plain sliding tie bars on a retro skinny tie worn with a European cut suit. IMO very stylish - especially on young, tall, and slim men.

About the picture: I do like the look. The tie bar does add a nice touch. So does the pocket square. Usually tie bars are worn to keep the tie from moving around too much. Isn't the vest already doing this?

I personally never wear tie bars.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Usually tie bars are worn to keep the tie from moving around too much. Isn't the vest already doing this?
IME, sometimes the vest does "fix" the tie in place; other times not. I often slip a tie clip into my vest pocket in the morning in case it turns out to be a "wandering tie" day.

I usually carry a tie clip when wearing a DB jacket, for similar reasons.

Looking more closely at the pic, what's with the shawl lapels on a business suit? And why so much pocket square popping out of the breast pocket?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
A tie bar has two functions: to keep a tie in place and to serve as an ornament. If you are wearing a vest, purpose one is less likely to be needed, as you are never going to doff the vest. If you want the added bling, then fine, but it had better be something worth looking at, because wearing it that high with a vest screams "look at my tie clip"!

Now, if you actually meant a "tie pin" as you titled your thread, instead of the clip shown, that could be an interesting option. Tie pins were worn with vests, and there's no reason not to do that now. However, it would be worn strictly for the ornamentation role, as its effectiveness in keeping that tie in place is marginal. So, you had better have a really great-looking pin in that case, because wearing one with a vest screams "look at my tie pin" even louder.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The clues are contained in the photograph: it portrays English actor Shane Richie in the role of a small-time West London crook!

Hasn't anyone noticed that he is sporting a shawl collar on a lounge suit? The horror, the horror....

A tie-bar, if it is to be worn at all, should be placed about three-quarters of the way down the tie and positioned at a jaunty angle. Therefore, if worn with a vest, it should remain invisible. Having said that, it is pointless to wear one with a vest: the vest should be quite sufficient to arch the tie and keep it in place. Mr Richie hasn't even bothered to arch his tie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.