Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this is the right forum, but I thought I would ask. I've started using a Windsor knot (helps make the tie shorter) and I find that when I walk after awhile the tie has drifted to my left. This happens even when it is under my suit jacket. Does anyone know why that might be? It didn't seem to happen when I used a half Windsor knot. I'm confused. Any insight would be appreciated!

·
Registered
168 Posts
This has happened to me when I use a Windsor. I shifted to the "Pratt Knot" and found it solves that issue, though the smaller knot size may not achieve your desired aesthetic.

·
Registered
27,618 Posts
Not sure this is the right forum, but I thought I would ask. I've started using a Windsor knot (helps make the tie shorter) and I find that when I walk after awhile the tie has drifted to my left. This happens even when it is under my suit jacket. Does anyone know why that might be? It didn't seem to happen when I used a half Windsor knot. I'm confused. Any insight would be appreciated!
I've only mastered the half-Windsor and four-in-hand, so I've no direct experience with your Windsor knot. And while it happens with a four-in-hand, as you note, it doesn't with a half-Windsor. The Four-in-hand knot is slightly asymmetrical, so I might conjecture the Windsor knot may be slightly also in its construction. Collar lock and collar band can also affect this. New collars made for zero tie space will start out sub-zero, and therefore slightly overlapping and assymetrical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've only mastered the half-Windsor and four-in-hand, so I've no direct experience with your Windsor knot. And while it happens with a four-in-hand, as you note, it doesn't with a half-Windsor. The Four-in-hand knot is slightly asymmetrical, so I might conjecture the Windsor knot may be slightly also in its construction. Collar lock and collar band can also affect this. New collars made for zero tie space will start out sub-zero, and therefore slightly overlapping and assymetrical.
I tried to switch back to the half-Windsor and it still happened, the drifting/moving that is of the tie. Very confused, since this seems to be a new thing that is happening and nothing else has changed.

·
Registered
27,618 Posts
I tried to switch back to the half-Windsor and it still happened, the drifting/moving that is of the tie. Very confused, since this seems to be a new thing that is happening and nothing else has changed.
Sorry, but I have no answers.

I'd conjecture it could be related to the collar, posture, an unconscious change in the way you're tying things. But I don't know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.