Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thankfully don't have many situations where I have to wear a tie right now (I'm only 19), because I have a very hard time getting the dimple to form or making it look right. Could someone please explain what it is that causes the dimple to form? (e.g. at what steps during the tying of the knot the dimple begins to form) If I understood that better, I might have more luck getting the dimple to form. Also, are there any alternative ways to tie a necktie that don't involve a dimple. And also, I usually tie the four-in-hand knot because it's the simplest and I'm not an expert tie tier, and this site recommended it for shorter men who want to look taller (I'm 5'7'').

·
Registered
27,614 Posts
I thankfully don't have many situations where I have to wear a tie right now (I'm only 19), because I have a very hard time getting the dimple to form or making it look right. Could someone please explain what it is that causes the dimple to form? (e.g. at what steps during the tying of the knot the dimple begins to form) If I understood that better, I might have more luck getting the dimple to form. Also, are there any alternative ways to tie a necktie that don't involve a dimple. And also, I usually tie the four-in-hand knot because it's the simplest and I'm not an expert tie tier, and this site recommended it for shorter men who want to look taller (I'm 5'7'').
A common alternative to the four-in-hand is the half windsor. It is more symmetrical and very slightly larger. Which you use is strictly a matter of personal preference. I like both, with the four-in-hand being very useful with bulky wool fabrics. Since I was blessed with 10 thumbs, I shall not be able to explain to you how to tie a half windsor. I think as I approached adulthood, it sort of just happened during one of my attempts. I'm sure there are diagrams on-line you can Google, as well as Andy's excellent tutorials on DVD.

The dimple also took some work. It is formed by cinching the two edges of the tie in the knot so that the middle of the tie folds downward a bit. This forms the dimple which then disappears an inch or so below the knot. I usually use my index finger to accomplish this task, though it sometimes takes a bit of fussing. Thick ties can become undimpled while wearing, which requires re-fussing.

Good luck! :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Two things are necessary to tie a good-looking knot...

A fine silk tie and some experience. That said, all knots should be dimpled. Dimpling lifts the tie off the shirt and protrudes the knot forward and up. The knot you tie is selected
because of the thickness of the tie and its blade width, and everyone should be able to tie at least three knots perfectly. I don't think any knot will make you look taller. That's in your genetic makeup, not your tie. Fred Astaire was a fairly short man, and he generally wore a Windsor since his ties were fairly narrow.

For thick wide ties such as Duchamp or Robert Talbott, use a four-in hand. For less thick and less wide ties (3 to 3.5 inches), use a modified half Windsor where you put the tie on backwards (inside toward the front); then tie a half Windsor. The tie knot will come out symetrical. I have some older art deco ties which require a full windsor because of their bulk and width.

All should dimple well. I have tried to explain dimpling to people, but its best to learn it yourself. All it takes is practice. If you learn the above three knots well, the tie will almost dimple itself. Just remember that you can't tie a good Windsor in a thick tie, nor a good four-in-hand in a less bulky thinner tie.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I usually wear a four in hand & dimple. I'll give it a go: Bearing in mind some ties just do it better then others.

Ok, so you have you knot made but not tightened or pulled up to the neck.
As you are begining to tighten the knot onto itself,put one finger in the centre of the fabric right below the knot (the part of the tie that gets seen) then put a finger on either side of the fabric so your squeezing it into a sort of "U" shape.

Then keep this pressure as you pull up and get the knot to tighten, keep those fingers in the same position until you have the tie poisitioned as you want it.

Mychael

·
Registered
970 Posts
Here is a tip no one told me when I was trying to figure out the dimple:

When you grip either side of the tie into the U shape around your index finger, grip it firmly into a larger U shape than what you want the dimple to be. Then tighten the knot and manipulate the dimple by pressing on the back part of the tie and smoothing the front. If you try to make a little dimple to start off with, in my experience, the dimple doesn't set and just falls out.

Another tip is to practice tying with a tie you don't care about or maybe a tie you got for a buck at the thrift store. That way you don't mangle your nice ties while you try to learn the dimple.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
A knot is an O that we pass the body ---- through. As we contrict the material down our ---- will fold into a W. The increased area of contact in a decreased circumferance serves to lock the tie into a secure and neat assembly. If you delete the dimple for a U the effect is like a cylinder in an engine block that may or may not slip down. The making of the dimple is a matter of practise. The extra step also serves to slow the act down to a more studied and carefull pace. It's like driving a standard transmittion. You don't rabbit into traffic and get in a wreck that turns tie into >======~~~~~~~

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
A fine silk tie and some experience. That said, all knots should be dimpled. D
I disagree.

I tie my tie and sometimes I get a dimple, sometimes I get a double dimple, and sometimes no dimples. Just go with it.

That being said, others have good suggestions how to get one.

And why are you thankful you don't have to wear a tie often? I frown upon days I can't.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I agree with brokencycle. People think I'm weird because I leave work to go out and be "trussed up" in a tie.

As far as the dimple goes, I'm sure I learned to dimple my ties at some point or another when I was growing up. It's part of my routine now -- I'd have to TRY to not dimple. The only ties I have that won't do it are my knit ties. That's fine. I also don't frown upon those who choose to not do it. Either way can look classy.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
The best price is $0. That's equivalent to roughly ₤0 if you live in Great Britain. :deadhorse-a:

·
1,767 Posts
Pardon the repeat from an earlier thread. However, the dimple in a tie is much like the creases in your shoes, across the ball of the foot, once the shoes are worn. The creases are memorized by the shoe.

Same way with a tie. You can go through all kinds of contortions, but the tie remembers how the fabric was in the area below the knot, and won't change much.

One way to solve the problem is to start with the tie when it is new, before it has ever been worn.

Stretch it out on a table, next to a tie that you have worn, that has the dimple in the proper place.

Then, take the new tie, and crease it in exactly the same place as the old tie. Use your index finger to hold the area where the dimple should be, and bring the fabric up to your finger. Hold the fabric tightly in place for a minute or so.

Tie will dimple perfectly every time, from then on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tie my tie and sometimes I get a dimple, sometimes I get a double dimple, and sometimes no dimples. Just go with it.
Yep. You can drive yourself nuts with this - particularly since the knot/dimples can change during the course of the day. Just as long as I don't wind up with one edge folding underneath, I'm ready to go.

-P

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I disagree.

That being said, others have good suggestions how to get one.

And why are you thankful you don't have to wear a tie often? I frown upon days I can't.
I do like wearing ties, but since I'm not that good at tying them, I'm thankful that I'm never required to do it at the moment.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
All the more reason to practice, practice, practice. I'm still trying to get a bowtie right...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is it bad...

if I disagree with the look of the dimple? Honestly, I feel it creates a creased look, like the tie just buckled under the pressure of the knot. I'm pretty sure I'm absolutely alone on this, but I've been pushing the dimple out (it always happens for me naturally) every time I wear a tie. Perhaps I should just give in, since the tie dimple is really for others, not myself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.