Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have learned a great deal from all of you.

I do have a couple questions about ties.

I just bought an Oxford tie and I do have a couple Zegna ties. After having these and looking at what I was wearing makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking.

OK the question is, how can I tell what kind of construction / # of folds they are. I have been looking at the Hober ties with great interest but I am with pause between standard, 6 fold, 7 fold unlined or eathier of these lined. I do like 4 in hand and 1/2W with spread collar. I do like a knot that dimples well and deep with a nice med/ large knot.

Can anyone help?

Crispiano

·
Registered
356 Posts
The easiest way to tell what the construction of a tie is is to turn it over and look inside by the tips. If you unfold the tie and see the front piece (now facing down) and then two back pieces with a little fold on the top back piece only it's a 4 fold. I usually then pull the lining of the tip back to see if there is one or two pieces of interfacing and what quality of interfacing is used in the tie. I prefer two pieces of interfacing as I like thicker ties. A seven fold typically will not have any interfacing, but you'll see silk and more silk when you open up the back. These ties generally are heavier to hold, but that depends on lots of things.

Seven folds give great knots and do not wrinkle as badly after being worn (or left on a mannequin for a few weeks in my case). Seven folds are considered a Superior tie, usually at a superior price.

Try the Pratt knot. The main ask Andy page will have directions on how to tie different knots, but it gives a nice sized knot with a great dimple, I switched to it from Windsors and am very happy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Dont understand the terminology of tie speak. I only have silk ties. I have noticed most people dont put the little indentation in the middle of their ties. Ive only just recently realized ties are supposed to have the indent when worn properly.

Now i inspect ties worn and most people dont seem to have the indent.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Dont understand the terminology of tie speak. I only have silk ties. I have noticed most people dont put the little indentation in the middle of their ties. Ive only just recently realized ties are supposed to have the indent when worn properly.

Now i inspect ties worn and most people dont seem to have the indent.
We are talking about silk neckties, there are different styles of construction for silk ties.

the little indentation is typically called the dimple, and your right, most people don't have one at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
OK the question is, how can I tell what kind of construction / # of folds they are.

Crispiano
Here is a pic showing the folds of a lined 6 fold which has, drum roll please....6 folds. A true 7-fold ala Robert Talbott is asymmetrical and truly has 7 folds with no lining. To make things confusing you will often see lined 6 folds called 7 folds because in Italy they call lined 6 folds 7 folds. I personally much prefer the lined 6 fold construction as it provides much greater resistance to wrinkling and ties a better knot than an unlined 7 fold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.