Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I'm going to a casual party next weekend and wanted some advice on my choice of tie. I plan on wearing a light gray blazer with a light pink patterned shirt (https://i.imgur.com/BA23nSC.jpg). The shirt color is more light/faded irl than it appears in the picture. I figured a solid color tie is the best option here, but I'm unsure what color to pick. But perhaps a patterned tie would work too - what do you guys think?
Side note: shoes are dark brown if that changes anything.

Edit: https://i.imgur.com/llDCcc7.jpg picture of blazer + shirt

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think that shirt is too casual to wear with a tie, but thats just me. I like solid pink shirts or one with every subtle patterns. In those cases I usually wear a blue or burgundy tie - often in a knit or grenadine.

Outerwear Shirt Dress shirt Tie Neck

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Thanks for all the advice so far! I have one small addition to make, my blazer is a bit textured, so I thought I should include a picture: https://i.imgur.com/llDCcc7.jpg

Not sure if that changes anything, but just some extra info!
No change as far as I'm concerned. Solid gray sport jackets are a bit unusual and often orphaned suit jackets, which might be the case here. While most forum members are not fans of orphans, this jacket should work acceptably with your chosen shirt and a casual knit tie in solid black, navy, burgundy or even green. Curious about your choice of trousers though.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Solid navy would be my first choice. If you're on the grenadine bandwagon that would be fine, but I might like a silk knit even better.

No offense, but is that really a dress shirt? I'm afraid I prefer more classic cloth, and the textured circles aren't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Solid navy would be my first choice. If you're on the grenadine bandwagon that would be fine, but I might like a silk knit even better.

No offense, but it that really a dress shirt? I'm afraid I prefer more classic cloth, and the textured circles aren't my cup of tea.
I also don't think it's a dress shirt, but IMO it will work acceptably with a very casual tie. Much depends on the forum, which the OP describes as "casual". If coats and ties are expected I would select a true dress shirt and probably avoid knit ties in favor of woven. If instead, as I suspect (but don't know), the OP is expecting most gents to be sans tie, then he probably needs to avoid a the more conventional dress shirt and tie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

No offense, but it that really a dress shirt? I'm afraid I prefer more classic cloth, and the textured circles aren't my cup of tea.
None taken! I'm relatively inexperienced in this area, so I'm here to learn. Perhaps fortunately, I just found out I've outgrown the shirt's neck. I'm going to go out and get a similar shade shirt (with a bit safer or no patterning) and a dark navy tie to finish the look. I might also pick up a light lavender shirt.. Will the navy blue tie work here also, or would another color work better?

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
If there is any way to talk you out of that shirt, let me be the first to try.

I’m having a really hard time reconciling a gray sport coat, be it a true SC or an orphaned suit jacket, with that shirt and then trying to pull in a tie.

Is there a chance that a light blue shirt my be an option?

What about slacks and shoes? What are you going with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I'm having a really hard time reconciling a gray sport coat, be it a true SC or an orphaned suit jacket, with that shirt and then trying to pull in a tie.

Fortunately(?) I just found out that shirt no longer fits me at the neck. So as for now, I'm fairly open to options. I think a light blue shirt is fine, but I just wanted to experiment with less traditional colors (light pink or light lavender).

Slacks are a slightly lighter shade than the coat. Shoes are dark brown.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Fortunately(?) I just found out that shirt no longer fits me at the neck. So as for now, I'm fairly open to options. I think a light blue shirt is fine, but I just wanted to experiment with less traditional colors (light pink or light lavender).

Slacks are a slightly lighter shade than the coat. Shoes are dark brown.
I would advise against the color of the slacks you've chosen. It will look like a mismatched suit.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

I'm having a really hard time reconciling a gray sport coat, be it a true SC or an orphaned suit jacket, with that shirt and then trying to pull in a tie.

This is sensible advice. Pink can definitely go nicely with gray, but the shades matter; a classic light blue would be much safer. I also am curious about trousers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would advise against the color of the slacks you've chosen. It will look like a mismatched suit.
Looks like I picked up the wrong pair of slacks when I bought the jacket/pants. I just went back to the store and found a matching pair of slacks. They have the same color/pattern as the jacket. I also picked up a light/faded solid pink shirt. Thinking about going with a solid navy blue tie or solid navy with small white polka dots.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I guess we'll take your word for it that it's a blazer, but with what we can see of the texture and cut it looks more like a suit to me.

In other words, possibly a bit too formal for a knit tie. I don't really like solid ties, so I would probably go with paisley.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.