Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this vtg Donald Brooks camel hair sport coat last week at a thrift store. It does not have a size tag but seems to fit me well in the shoulders, chest, and waist. Though I think the sleeves and the length could use some work. The first outfit is the Donald Brooks sc, light blue ocbd, PRL dark brown 12 wale cords with 2" cuffs, and Thursday Boot Co. cognac suede chukkas. The second outfit is the same but with Levi 511 dark wash jeans.

So what do you guys think of the fit and the styling of the outfits? I am 5'9" and 145 lbs.
Suit trousers Outerwear Leg Dress shirt Neck
Suit trousers Dress shirt Neck Sleeve Standing

Face Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Collar
Glasses Shoulder Dress shirt Neck Sleeve
Suit trousers Joint Hairstyle Shoulder Dress shirt
Outerwear Shoulder Overcoat Human body Neck

Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Grey Collar

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yes, there's ample extra fabric through the body that will help with tailoring. I wouldn't mess with the length, IMO that almost always ends up not quite right. My hope is that the jacket isn't so only that the sleeves couldn't be let out a bit; you just need a little. Sometimes with well-worn clothing there's a "ring" of wear that develops a the edge of the existing hem; your tailor will let you know if it's an issue. Good find!

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I like the coat very well, and think it fits you very well too!

I don't think I'd try to adjust the jacket's length for two reasons: first it's problematic, and second it looks to be about the right length, though you only have one full length photo. You appear to have long arms, so the jacket hem will fall above your cupped hand, but it looks as if it is about 1/2 your height from shoulder to floor, which is the object.

The sleeves are the only thing that need work with both needing to be lengthened a bit, your left sleeve more so. I too am concerned that this could possibly prove problematic due to the more delicate nature of camel. Hopefully, no rings would remain.

While it would not be beneficial to wear your trousers with much of a break, those look much shorter than I would prefer, look to to be a good 1 1/2" short of optimal. I would find lengthening them that amount more becoming for you as it would offer better proportion. I don't mind deeper cuffs, particularly on corduroy. 2" might be a bit much, but I don't know that I'd worry about it.

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Finally, someone with my exact vitals: 5'9" and 145 lbs. But a third my age. Damn. Moving on: the coat's girthy. Your side-shots tell the tale. You look pregnant. You're not, are you? You need below-hip reduction. This will also open the bottom some, in front, and make you look less like a wank. Even tho I like the wank look. I am one myself, often even buttoning the bottom-most button. But you're too young for that. I see nothing wrong with the sleeve length. But I do see something slightly wrong with a camel hair on a youngin'. Even with the jeans thing. Subsequent posters will fight me on that. You thrifted the coat? So you're out ten bucks? Go back, the racks are full of stuff more suited to you. Don't waste your youth on camel's hair.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Forum-savvy posters: how do I lose the Roy Orbison sig below. New format confuses me. Used to be able to turn it off or on with each post. Wanna go back to my Macbeth quote. Will unbutton the bottom button first, promise.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Finally, someone with my exact vitals: 5'9" and 145 lbs. But a third my age. Damn. Moving on: the coat's girthy. Your side-shots tell the tale. You look pregnant. You're not, are you? You need below-hip reduction. This will also open the bottom some, in front, and make you look less like a wank....
I, too, thought the jacket is too full on you, especially in the skirt. However, in some of the back and side shots, I think some material could be taken out (i.e., the jacket "taken in") all the way up to the armholes. You don't want it trimmed down to today's super skinny nonsense, but you, IMHO, need a more fitted look.

While, I think a smidge more sleeve length would be good, they look passable to me. I'd only lengthen them, as others have noted above, assuming there wouldn't be a "line."

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I, too, thought the jacket is too full on you, especially in the skirt. However, in some of the back and side shots, I think some material could be taken out (i.e., the jacket "taken in") all the way up to the armholes. You don't want it trimmed down to today's super skinny nonsense, but you, IMHO, need a more fitted look.
On second look, I think you may be right. And if it were taken in, I think it an easy job. The only two reasons I'm not certain are that camel hair is a soft extra drapey cloth that tends to fold over itself readily, and because I suspect the subject's posture may not be entirely his normal stance. We pretty much all do it when getting photographed, but it looks like he's standing extra straight with his shoulders back, which is going to throw more cloth to the rear than there would be in a normal posture.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Agree with Lucido and disagree with Peak here. Having lived in London for years, wank has a difference meaning - so not sure what he is referring to.

But wear what you like, there is no age limit on a particular garment - especially one as timeless as camel hair.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice. I took the jacket along with several pants and an overcoat to the tailors Tuesday. I post after photos when I get everything back in a couple of weeks.

The tailors observation was that the sleeves of the jacket were slightly too short but advised against lengthening them due to the likelihood of a ring. He substantially took in the jacket which improves the look vastly. I also got the brown cords lengthened and changed to a 1.5" cuff.

mrkleen, I bet Peak meant something different then what you and me are thinking of. Since I have never heard the term wank used as anything but an insult.

Peak, personally I agree with you and think jackets and coats with lapels look odd on men my age and I would never wear that sport coat unless it was called for. That said some situations require more then just a blue dress shirt and khaki wool slacks. Yet a navy blazer would be too formal, that is were something more casual like tweed or camel hair would come in. I personally don't see much if any difference in the formality or age association of camel hair vs tweed. Just that camel hair is a less common fabric to find people wearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.