Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1) Is it ever ok to tuck them in?

(2) If yes, does that apply to just mock turtlenecks?

(2) If you CAN tuck the mock or the regular turtleneck in, I assume you want a plain, drop bottom as opposed to a banded, elastic bottom, right? Where can one buy a nice turtleneck that doesn't have a banded bottom?

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for'. I agree with the second part".

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a turtleneck (or mock) WITH a banded bottom. All the ones I have, and I wear them frequently in the winter, have plain bottoms. If I'm wearing them without a jacket, then I generally leave them untucked, otherwise i tuck them. In my view of the world, the only people who would wear anything untucked under a jacket are teenagers and Amjacs. I'm unsure why you are making a stylistic distinction between turtles and mocks, however. What applies to one almost certainly applies to the other.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
1) Yes

2) No

3) No. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
All of my mocks have a banded bottom ....

I think this is because they are all cashmere and were designed as sweaters, not a shirt. I would not tuck one in my trousers because rubbing cashmere agains the trouser waist could prove harmful to the sweater. Those without a banded bottom are designed as shirts, and I have never seen a cashmere or high-quality merino that doesn't have a banded bottom. Besides these reasons, if your jacket is kept buttoned, which I always do, you'll not see the sweater bottom.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
(1) Is it ever ok to tuck them in?

(2) If yes, does that apply to just mock turtlenecks?

(2) If you CAN tuck the mock or the regular turtleneck in, I assume you want a plain, drop bottom as opposed to a banded, elastic bottom, right? Where can one buy a nice turtleneck that doesn't have a banded bottom?

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for'. I agree with the second part".
1. You should, unless it has a ribbed waistband, in which case, you shouldn't.

2. A mock turtleneck is not a turtleneck, it is an abomination. :pic12337:

3. Yes. Depends on what nice means. Lands End used to sell some half decent combed cotton ones. But things aren't what they were there. Peruvian connection used to have some decent Pima cotton ones. Various other catalog companies have sold them, and I'm sure still do, though we're moving out of turtleneck season. I think all the straight bottom version turtlenecs I've seen have been cotton.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
(1) Is it ever ok to tuck them in? NO if it's a wool model, MAYBE if it's a cotton model (one you'd probably layer under a sweater).

(2) If yes, does that apply to just mock turtlenecks? I think the same rule applies to both models.

(3) If you CAN tuck the mock or the regular turtleneck in, I assume you want a plain, drop bottom as opposed to a banded, elastic bottom, right? Maybe, but I can't see why it would make much of a difference.

Where can one buy a nice turtleneck that doesn't have a banded bottom?
I have no idea, but considering it's spring, you'll probably find a very good deal on one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.