Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the standard number of buttons on the jacket of a three-piece suit? I looked at the Brooks Brothers site and all of them feature three-button jackets. Is this how it should be, or is a two-button jacket better? Does it all depend on how much of the waistcoat one wants to display?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have never heard of a standard button arrangement for the jacket - I've seen three-piece suits with one, two, and three button jackets in equal number.

I think there may be a bit more confusion over the protocol about the number of buttons on the vest but I'm assuming that follows the same rule as the jacket - how ever many buttons you want...

·
Registered
816 Posts
My 3-piece suit has a 2 button jacket and I really like the look. The waistcoat is more visible with a 2-button jacket. IMO, if you are wearing a 3-piece suit, then the waistcoat should be visible in not hidden behind a 3-button jacket. I'm not saying it looks bad, I just think a 2-button looks better.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
What is the standard number of buttons on the jacket of a three-piece suit? I looked at the Brooks Brothers site and all of them feature three-button jackets. Is this how it should be, or is a two-button jacket better? Does it all depend on how much of the waistcoat one wants to display?
you answered it right there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Reading through some of Andy's actual site, one button of the waist coat should be visible above the buttoned jacket. So the number of buttons on the waistcoat, or at least the position of the top button, depends on the arrangement of the jacket buttons. The jacket buttons are totally up to you, though I would not suggest a one-button.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
A worker's vest (the high buttoned kind) looks good with a three button coat because it can definitely be seen. But, then, one's tie can hardly be seen. Not a problem though, if one doesn't care or if one wears bow ties (Like me!). The name's of these vests are irrelevant now, unless you're meeting with the queen or something.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I tend to leave the jacket unbuttoned when I wear a vest.

Personally, I like the three button, but it does cover up the vest when buttoned. There is no requisite amount of buttons with a vested suit.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I tend to leave the jacket unbuttoned when I wear a vest.

Personally, I like the three button, but it does cover up the vest when buttoned. There is no requisite amount of buttons with a vested suit.
The last three suits I have had made are three piece. I am retired and I don't really need any more suits, but if I do get another one, it will be three piece also.

I have a habit of leaving my jacket undone which I think does not look too good except when sitting. With a vest, I think it looks okay to have the jacket unbuttoned.

All of my suits are three button and when buttoned the vest does show but not very much.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Either two or three is acceptable.

Some like 2 buttons because "you see more of the vest" but with a 3 button jacket the top button shouldn't be buttoned anyways, allowing the lapels to roll to the middle button. Either way plenty of vest will show.

Now that's a different story with a 3-piece DB suit...

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've tried 2 button jackets with my bespoke 3 piece suits but now prefer the look of a 3 button 3 piece suit have 2 such suits in the commissioning process

Keep in mind I'm 6'4 and prefer a high cut lapeled vest leaving only a little bit of the tie exposed

I rarely button my jacket, even when in court arguing a criminal case before a jury, but prefer the look of a 3 button jacket when mated to my high cut vest

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.