Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

This is my first post... hopefully I'll find the answer I need.

I'm planning on sewing some white buttons (for cuffs and front closure) onto my navy blue blazer (this one, to be precise: https://www.martinandosa.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat230011&productId=3820_2129) á la page 97 of Esquire Magazine's Spring 2009 'The Big Black Book' (entitled "The Punch of White Buttons") and I'm not sure if I should use navy or white thread.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance!

EDIT These are the buttons: https://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Product/5/40735/40735.aspx. I ordered 11 (4 for each cuff, plus a spare) 15mm buttons and 3 (it's a two-button blazer, plus a spare) 19mm buttons.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I agree that it's skating on the edge. When I think non-shank blazer buttons, I think brown horn. White certainly might work, but I would lean towards mother of pearl if you wanted light buttons.

That said, +1 for navy thread. It feels right.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Another vote for blue thread.

By going with a blue thread instead of something like red, it would sort of help tone down the 'loud' buttons and make the garment flow rather then having buttons that look out of place.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I use navy blue thread myself for mother of pearl buttons on a navy blazer. The button stitching needs to cross if the buttons have 4 holes. It gives the white buttons a navy centre and helps to connect the bright white to the dark blazer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the red recommendation above, though it will surely call more attention to itself than my own taste would allow. So, in keeping with the idea that the thread should contrast (and I do believe it should definitely contrast--what would be awful), I would say tan or olive or grey--depending on what color pants you usually wear with the blazer.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Firstly, if you're going to make a feature of your buttons, pay a few dollars extra and get some nicer buttons than white plastic. This is not empty snobbiness; think about it - everyone is going to notice your buttons because they contrast so much to the jacket and they'll all take a closer look. The more tactile amongst them might even have a feel of the buttons. So get something really special, not white plastic. Ivory, horn, MOP, whatever. Just not shiny plastic.

I'd also go against the consensus in this thread and choose white thread if I was going to do this. Though I wouldn't do it with a solid navy blazer (maybe a white striped blazer though).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.