Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all of the threads debating The Black Suit and The Brown Suit, but I'm interested in Forumite thoughts on the Olive Suit.

I've heard it said that the Italians see olive as a neutral, akin to grey. I know Swabische and Muchener Germans will often own a loden green heavyweight suit, to match their loden overcoats. But it's also said that no self-respecting Brit would consider green for anything other than country weekends. In New York, I see occasional dusty green poplins in the height of summer, but nothing after Labor Day.

Can winterweight olive carry itself in a business setting?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Perhaps in warmer climates but not in NYC or the midwest and not for business.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I love my dark olive suit.

How it is perceived is questionable, and that depends on the business you work in. There are stray contingents here which loathe and malign the olive suit, however, they are nasty and brutish people who were probably caught in various, salacious act by men in olive suits. Beware.

I would go out on a limb to say a darker olive suit is proper in any business environment these days. And I only say that because most business environments are so casual today.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Olive for business - no
Olive for spring/summer: yes
Olive for winter - no, at most early autumn
Olive for the countryside - yes

There may be an East-West divide on here, with the West finding it more acceptable whereas the East not. I suppose as long you are Republican and love Nascar, anything goes down South.

I have the opinion that a suit should only be black, grey or navy and tweed for the countryside. Most are more 'open' to other colours.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Have a good tailor run me up a dark olive suit for the colder months, and I'll happily wear it often! Though I'd likely pick something else for the most dressy occasions. I've been having bespoke fantisies around a dark olive or dark forest green suit inspired by an old AA illustration. I'm thinking a twill such as cavalry twill or even whipcord.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I own a BB "Hand Tailored" (what they called Golden Fleece for a while some years ago) 2pc sb suit in olive.

I wear it to the office, but because it's made of a rather lightweight worsted, I guess I've always thought of it as one of my warmer-weather suits and so don't wear it in the winter.

It's what I consider the perfect shade of olive--not too light, not too dark; looks great with light blue or ivory/ecru shirts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.