Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
It would help to know your hair and eye color as well as general complexion. If you have chestnut hair with greenish eyes, that shirt might work, etc. General rule of thumb is: does the outfit draw the eyes to the face or do you stop at some element, e.g. shirt, tie, etc. If the latter then usually that means poor coordination.

·
Registered
290 Posts
These are my thoughts, in no particular order, and with the understanding that I've been guilty of all these faults, and then some, in my life:

1) Pull your tie tight, yo. I hate that air-gap and struggle with it myself.

2) You're all solid color, and they're kind of close to each other. Why not add some pattern?

3) A dark green shirt is a tough look for anyone to pull off. It's very "Applebee's Restaurant Manager". With the collar open, it would pass for African Adventuresome; with the tie, it's back to Applebee's.

4) I don't care for the tie. It looks cheap. Some very expensive ties look cheap -- hello, 1990s Zegna prints! -- so I'm not implying you buy cheap ties. Patterns. Never. Killed. Anyone.

5) I can't see your sleeves. Well, I can only see one tiny bit of sleeve, on one side. Pull 'em out to the first knuckle of your thumb. This is my personal preference, don't think it's a rule.

6) The pants are a mess. It's not your fault. Virtually all khaki pants are a mess. There's something about 'em that highlights the wrinkles.

7) Congratulations on not being a big fat slob like, ahem, the person writing this post.

Final thought: The blazer/khakis thing is dangerously close to what AAACers used to call "costume". So if you're going to wear that costume, take it all the way: white shirt, red tie with a mild pattern, or a yellow tie with a paisley.

Also, the coat seems long to me... but my eyes can't be trusted on that. I regularly disagree with my tailor and others about coat length.

If you could make just one change... plain white shirt with an inch more sleeve and you're pretty sharp.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It would help to know your hair and eye color as well as general complexion. If you have chestnut hair with greenish eyes, that shirt might work, etc. General rule of thumb is: does the outfit draw the eyes to the face or do you stop at some element, e.g. shirt, tie, etc. If the latter then usually that means poor coordination.
I have medium-dark brown hair and hazel eyes. Another concern of mine is if regular length jackets (such as the one pictured) make my leg line look short. I think they do a little bit . However I won't go to short instead of regular because 1) I have slightly long arms in proportion to my body and 2) a short in the same size looks too short/perfect to me in all other areas beside my legs (even though I have a shortish torso and long legs at a height of 5'8'' so I'm confused by this. Based on my proportions wouldn't the opposite effect occur?). To sum up, a short instead of a regular on me creates a pseudo-Tom Browne effect I guess. Do you guys think my jacket is too long? Based on the above info, if yes, what should I do (other than bespoke or MTM)? Like I said I consider this a very minor issue.

Also, that tie is Christian Dior from the 80's (left by my dad (R.I.P.)) I agree with it being a little too narrow to balance the jacket shoulder. I also have a couple nice repp ties from him (one which is from the now out of business Woodhouse Lynch) that are a bit wider than the tie in the pic. I could post a pic with either of what I consider 2 of my best ties combined with my Nordstrom dress shirt that is light blue with a small white check.

·
Registered
472 Posts
MTM might be the way to go if a short jacket works in the back but not in the arms. There are some makers that have really long arms off the rack, which might also be an option (e.g. 30 inch jacket with 27 inch arms).

Personally I find it impossible to judge if a jacket is too long if I cannot see a person's full body, i.e. top of his head to the bottom of his shoes taken from about waist height. Rules of thumb are useful for abstract discussions, but when applying them to yourself, you need to be aware of things that vary considerably from the norm (e.g. in your case a shorter than regular torso but with longer than regular arms).

A lot of people here have MTM experience and I'm sure they can recommend something that meets your budget.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
First of all, the shirt looks dark grey on my monitor but someone else said it is dark green. If it is dark grey, I like it a lot. Much less so if it's green.

Regardless of whether it is grey or green, I don't like it with the blazer. While I love dark colored shirts, I don't think they pair well with a navy blazer. The blazer goes well with the khaki pants though, just with a different shirt.

The tie I don't care for at all, and especially with that combination.

You did ask. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
When Flatsix mentioned jacket length, he stated that his personal preference regarding length differed with even his tailor's on occasion, so don't take it as a rule. I think it looks fine based on where your hands fall. I believe that the fact that the person who took this photo seems taller than you may have something to do with the appearance of extra length. Tom Ford says that a jacket should always drop below your butt, and that a pet peave of his was a bit of your rear showing below the back of the jacket. Ford referred to too short of a jacket as a woman's look. I like the fit of the shoulders. I do not like the choice of shirt color. White, pale blue (and I mean pale), pink would all look nice. I bought a similar colored shirt and it ended up serving as part of my Joker costume for Halloween. But I would buy longer sleeves. Aim to show 1/4" to 1/2" of cuff.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When Flatsix mentioned jacket length, he stated that his personal preference regarding length differed with even his tailor's on occasion, so don't take it as a rule. I think it looks fine based on where your hands fall. I believe that the fact that the person who took this photo seems taller than you may have something to do with the appearance of extra length. Tom Ford says that a jacket should always drop below your butt, and that a pet peave of his was a bit of your rear showing below the back of the jacket. Ford referred to too short of a jacket as a woman's look. I like the fit of the shoulders. I do not like the choice of shirt color. White, pale blue (and I mean pale), pink would all look nice. I bought a similar colored shirt and it ended up serving as part of my Joker costume for Halloween. But I would buy longer sleeves. Aim to show 1/4" to 1/2" of cuff.
Actually the pic was taken by my sister who's 5'2''.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I said "seems taller" I was referring to the angle at which we are able to view your hands and the base of the jacket. Which, again, to me looks just fine.
She was just standing on the floor, not on a chair or something, so how does make it seem that she's taller? I apologize if I'm just not completely understanding your meaning or logic.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
She was just standing on the floor, not on a chair or something, so how does make it seem that she's taller? I apologize if I'm just not completely understanding your meaning or logic.
Never mind. Look at your hands in the photo. We are viewing them from a downward angle.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Which is a better idea, buying a 36 or 38( my jacket sizes depending on the maker) short and (somehow) lengthening the sleeves or buying a regular and shortening the bottom where my knuckles line up with my arms down)?

I've read that your thumb knuckle should line up with the bottom of the jacket. Wouldn't getting an 36/38S effect that (and also make my arms look long)?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I think the jacket is too long...I wear mine short, sh=ome guys don't like that, I do. I have a big butt from hockey and soccer and a longer jacket makes me look bubble butt-y while if it is shorter, it just kind of pops out.

Anyway, enough about my arse.

I am also not to keen on the shirt color and tie. The tie might work better with a checked or even a striped shirt. I try to avoid a solid tie on a solid shirt.

However, if you like it then I wouldn't change anything. It certainly doesn't look "bad", but for my taste I would change the aformentioned things. What does Batman think?;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.