Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You know I was interviewed by Sartorialist once and he asked me what would I never wear?. I said rather tongue in cheek an Oswald Boateng suit......you should have seen the backlash!

Well at the time I half meant it. But after looking at some of the stuff he has been putting in his windows in Savile Row I think he is on the up in a lot of respects.

He seems to be doing a lot of mohair tonik which I really like and his suits have a more 60s rather than 90s look about them nowadays which I like.

He is rather expensive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ozwald makes some very interesting and clever suits, but basically none of them is practical for office or interview attire. If you're the sort who has a lot of money to spend on something totally flashy and totally impractical, then go for it. If you own a Ferrari but live in city full of heavy, stop-and-go traffic, you're the target customer.

I suppose you could always visit Ozwald Boateng to get a plain, standard-issue navy suit made for yourself. But what would be the point of that? You don't go to Ozwald for practicality; you go to him because you're rich and want to buy a conversation piece.

It is not uncommon for newly minted partners at law firms or MDs at investment banks to get Boateng suits as ways of announcing to their peers that they have arrived. But if you're the sort of person who has yet to "arrive," your money is better spent on more practical clothing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ozwald makes some very interesting and clever suits, but basically none of them is practical for office or interview attire. If you're the sort who has a lot of money to spend on something totally flashy and totally impractical, then go for it. If you own a Ferrari but live in city full of heavy, stop-and-go traffic, you're the target customer.

I suppose you could always visit Ozwald Boateng to get a plain, standard-issue navy suit made for yourself. But what would be the point of that? You don't go to Ozwald for practicality; you go to him because you're rich and want to buy a conversation piece.

It is not uncommon for newly minted partners at law firms or MDs at investment banks to get Boateng suits as ways of announcing to their peers that they have arrived. But if you're the sort of person who has yet to "arrive," your money is better spent on more practical clothing.
I don't know, depends on your job. You could be a creative or work in entertainment in which case it's perfectly fine to wear for interviews or work.....you may also like dressing flash.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I guess it depends. Not a lot of entertainment/creative companies even require suits at the office these days. Interviews may demand suits, but again, I'd err on the conservative side in those circumstances. Nobody ever got dinged for wearing a navy suit to an interview; I can't make the same claim for wild or flashy suits.

Entertainment and media companies also tend to have very pyramidal pay scales. Those at the bottom make peanuts on the dollar, while those at the very top make out like bandits. I seriously doubt many non-partners at talent agencies or ad agencies, or non-presidents of studios, can even afford Boateng.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
OB has a number of different ranges, the quality varies from 'how much do they pay you to wear it' to Savile Row bespoke quality.

Not a fan myself, but if you want a good OB suit go for his top-range MTM or bespoke.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was in there recently and the stuff is not as outlandish as people perceive. There are of course the 'fashion' suits.

Personally, I liked a lot of it.

It is very 'mod', IMO.

About what someone said about not being able to wear it in an office or for an interview; I disagree completely, at least in Britain anyway, which does not seem to be as conservative and 'rules' based as I infer from many of the posts here on American office attire (Law aside perhaps).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.